My Hope

Will sat on the bed crisscross as he read the book in front of him. I sat on the other end of the bed facing him. I just joined him and he hadn't looked up.

I studied his face as he read, watching every little expression come across his face as he read whatever he was reading. He obviously was enjoying it and was puzzled by it at the same time.

"Quit staring into my soul, Destiny." Will said without looking up. I could see the smile though.

"I can only do that when I'm staring directly into your eyes."

Will looked up and made eye contact with me. "And what do you see?"

"Calm and hope. And something rare."

"Really? What?"

"Patience and understanding." I said.

Will bookmarked his page and closed his book. "Okay, I know that look."

"What look?"

"Your guarded look."

I looked down at my feet and started messing with the fabric of my sweatshirt.

"I'm just thinking."

"I know that, but it's bugging you. What's up?"

"I dunno. Just a feeling."

Will jumped off of the bed, walked over to where I was sitting and sat down next to me. "You know, I don't bite. You don't have to be so guarded with me."

"Ever have the feeling in the pit of your stomach that something is too good to be true."

Will studied my face before responding. "Yeah, why?"

"Half of the time I believe you are too good to be true."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No, it has nothing to do with your character but just my battle. Like why me?"

Will pulled his eyes away from mine and looked in front of him, thinking.

Way to go, Destiny. Just had to talk.

He turned his head and looked at me again. Lovely brown eyes. This time I swear he was the one soul staring.

"Because your my missing piece. Yes, I know you're constantly fighting with yourself about whether or not you are good enough for me, but you need to stop. I wouldn't be here unless I wanted to. And I'm not trying to be cheesy or anything. Tiny, you really need to let it all go; let the past go. It doesn't define your 'value' as a human being. I love you for the person that you are, not the person you were. Heck, half of the time I find myself angry at what happened to you, but trust me. I'm not going to try to purposefully hurt you. I love you. Please stop fighting and putting up walls. Just embrace this, please."

"I don't know what to say."

"Just say you will try. I'm here because I love you and want to protect you. I'm going to fight for you even when you fight me, because you are worthy of love and so much more."

I could feel the tears. Boy, I hate crying.

"You are my hope. You really are."

"I love you. Please stop fighting."