| 19 |

I bolted out of the room first, followed by Reedy, the guy sent by Drew. I watched him disappear into the crowd, feeling a mix of relief and urgency. Knowing Drew, Brenda, and Tony were safe was like a weight lifted, but now I had to figure out how to join them.

Suddenly, the phone James gave me buzzed to life. "Elena, where are you? I can't see you," James's voice crackled through.

"I was in the bathroom. Is that against your rules now?"

I could almost hear him roll his eyes before he barked orders. "Just go to the master bedroom, first floor, left down the hall." Click. He hung up. I followed his cryptic instructions, winding up in a bedroom that could double as a gallery, one wall entirely made of windows. Bet James has a perfect view.

I strolled around, admiring the interior like I was at a museum. This place was something else. As I stepped into the bathroom, my gaze caught 20 different colored birds outside. Bird lover, huh? The phone rang again.

"This is what I want you to do," James instructed. "On the floor, there's a grate." I spotted it and nodded, knowing he could probably see me. I crouched, "Give it a tug. Pull it out." I did, placing the grate aside, peering into the darkness. "Get the device. Turn it on, shove it as far back as you can."

I fished out the device from my cleavage, flicked it on, and jammed it into the vent's deepest corner. "Okay, it's done."

"Good. Replace the grate and head to the living room."

"Okay, then I'm out of here, James. This place gives me the creeps."

"No."

"What? Why can't I leave?"

"In case it doesn't work. That's why." He hung up. I rolled my eyes, heading out when his voice stopped me. "Wait, hide. Now."

"What?"

"Someone's coming. Hide!" He hung up, leaving my blood colder than the wall I pressed myself against, hiding behind a shelf. My breath hitched as footsteps approached.

I heard a gruff voice say, 'move,' then the sound of furniture scraping. The footsteps retreated. My mind raced. What now? Can they see me? What would James do?

I'm not him, I'm nothing like him.

Peering around, I saw Reedy tied to a chair, bruises marring his face. The room then fell silent as the men who brought him in here leave. Now was my only chance to escape. Sorry, Reedy.