Chapter 1- All it Takes is One Glance

One glance. One tiny glimpse off the road and suddenly I'm without a parent, and I have become deaf. When I was 5 years old, my dad was driving and I was in the backseat, playing with a My Little Pony. My mom was in the passenger seat arguing with my dad about something completely meaningless (which was nothing new), when a drunk driver came barreling down the wrong side of the road. He crashed into our car and next thing I know, I'm laying in a hospital bed with no idea how I got there. I noticed a bunch of flowers and cards that were piled up on a table. A nurse came in to check on me and said something but I couldn't hear it. She kept repeating it, but I got so frustrated that I couldn't hear and started crying. My mom came into the room then with reddened eyes and walked over to my bed. She grabbed a pen and paper, sitting down beside me. She tried to write, but her fingers shook so much that she couldn't get a simple word out. She looked at me with sad, round dark green eyes and smiled. It wasn't a smile that reached her eyes, but instead one of those smiles that only reached her lips. One of those smiles that's trying to say it's okay when you both know it's not. A few days later she told me that I became deaf after the accident, due to a brain injury. At the time I didn't realize that my dad was gone, but I found out about that soon enough. Being a teenager is hard enough. But being a teenager that's deaf and only has one parent? You have no idea. Klayre Patterson, a deaf, only child who was forced to learn an entirely new way of life. Pretty sad, right? Then again, I suppose the best stories are.