two

There was no time for breakfast sometimes, so I'd leave the house with a rattling stomach, unable to eat until lunch at twelve o'clock.

The sun was shining bright that morning, allowing my skin to feel warm and fuzzy as I walked to work, although I had no time to waste and had to speed-walk the entirety of the journey.

It was upsetting to realise that I expected nothing new of every day, when I once had such high hopes. But how am I supposed to when each day is a never ending circle?

The apron went on and the early morning rush of business men and women, and commuters coming in for their regular take-out drinks.

It was as though the restaurant had two different lives; the early morning one, coffee, tea, sandwiches and wraps; and the late night one, filled with dim lights and soft music, and fancy people eating fancy meals.

Each sandwich I made and each coffee I passed over made my stomach rumble in annoyance. I had to refrain from ripping the bread apart with my teeth and devouring it.

But time moves on when you're attempting to do a hundred and one things all at once. Lunch came and went, and I got a satisfied silence from my tummy after a tomato pasta and a coffee to wash it down. I no longer looked at every plate of food with envy.

Harry called during my break to let me know he'd be out that night. There was a trace of guilt in my gut when I felt a tad too happy about having the house to myself. I suddenly couldn't wait for five o'clock when I got off.

He apologised that he wouldn't be home when I arrived and I assured him it was fine, telling him I had to get back to work before we said our usual 'I love you's.

A group of three men and two women walked through the doors of the restaurant seconds before I did. A waitress showed them to a booth that fit their large number.

Before I could walk away however, she caught my attention, motioning to the table; letting me know it was mine.

Straightening my apron around my neck, I grabbed five menus from the pile and walked over. They all turned to me as I stood before them.

"Good evening," I said, making sure to smile politely. "I'm Carolina, and I'll be your waitress this evening. Here are your menus." I placed them down in front of each of them, only getting a 'thank you' from the one on the very end. "Can I get you any drinks or do you need a minute?"

Looking around at them, I noticed two of the men had their arms thrown over the women they were with, while the man on the end sat alone. He didn't seem phased by it but rather content.

"I'll take a beer," the man said, giving me a small smile. His eyes were a light caramel colour, although it may have just been the tinted lights.

"Same for me," one of the men said, his fingers locked with the woman's over her shoulder.

Following the pattern, the man with the hair falling in his face decided on the same. I scribbled them down in my notepad, and waited on the women to make their decision.

"I'll have.. the white wine," the woman with the interlocked hands said, bleach blonde hair falling over her shoulders.

"I'll take a rum and Coke," the other said, falling into the man's side.

"Sounds good," I said. "Can I get you anything else just yet, or do you want a few minutes to look at the menu?"

"We'll need a few minutes, I think," the blonde-haired woman said, nodding her head.