Prolouge

Prolouge

I dialled her all-too-familiar number on my phone. After the small “Beep!” I heard her soothing voice, as I knew I would. Naaalala ko pa nung nirecord niya yun, I was still by her side then, “Hi, this is Mandy speaking, I can’t get to you now, but please leave a message and I’ll try to get back at you.”

Ito na naman ako, sabi ko last week titigil na ako. Lagi na lang akong nag-iiwan ng voicemail sa kanya. And yeah, hindi naman niya sinasagot. Alam ko nang iniisip ninyo, stalker, creep, desperado. Hindi naman ako stalker, and I’m not a creep. But yeah, I’m desperate.

After the second “Beep”, I took a deep breath and said: “Hello Mandy, it’s been a while. I’ll be in medical school this year. After what happened, Ahm… I’m better now but I still miss you a lot, that’s why I keep on calling you. I-I’ll always love you no matter what. Okay?”

Desperate enough to do this, it’s the only way I can hear her voice again. I want to be with her again. But how can I? And for the last week, tumigil na ako. But today, I’m starting my first day at school, and I guess I needed to hear her voice again. Her... The reason I’m doing this in the first place.

“I know it’s been a month...” I continued with my voicemail, “…But it still hurts so much. It’s really hard. They tell me I would find a new love, but how can I fall in love again when I don’t want to? When moving on is like losing you all over again.”

After that call… A call that wouldn’t reach her, I cried while thinking about what we lost.