Chapter 17

Sherlock's gaze became distant as his mind worked frantically. Irene's code. Irene's code, Irene's code. He slowly turned towards the safe and lowered his hands. As the leader watched him closely, Sherlock slowly reached out a finger towards the keypad and punched the '3', then the '2'. Hesitating for a moment, he then punched the '2' and '4'. Pausing again, Sherlock he hit the '3' and '4'. The safe beeped and noisily unlocked. Irene smiles in satisfaction as he sighed and closed his eyes briefly. Amy was safe, hopefully. Amy sagged lower on her knees and closed her eyes.

The leader said, "Thank you, Mr Holmes. Open it, please." Twisting the button that would open the door, Sherlock looked across to Irene who lowered her gaze to the floor and made a tiny jerk with her head. Then to Amy, who caught Irene's gesture and understood, nodding. He turned back to the safe. 

Sherlock said urgently, "Vatican cameos." Vatican cameos was the Trio's codeword for murder, except that John was outside. Instantly, Amy threw herself to the floor. At the same moment, Sherlock pulled open the door of the safe while ducking down below the fireplace. 

Inside the safe, a tripwire attached to the door tugged on the trigger of a pistol with an equally long silencer which was aimed straight out of the safe. The gun fired and the man who was aiming a pistol at Amy happened to be standing directly in front of it, and was shot in the chest. 

Sherlock grabbed for the leader's pistol as Irene spun around on her knees and savagely elbowed her guard in the dick. Pulling the pistol from the leader's grip, Sherlock held the silencer end and smashed the butt across his face and the leader fainted and dropped to the ground.

Amy stood up, brushing her hair away from her face. Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted Irene's guard moving to get up and she spun around and kicked him the stomach with her heel. As the guard crumpled under Amy's blow, Irene grappled for his pistol and was on her feet and aimed it down at him. 

Sherlock turned to her and said, "Do you mind?"

Irene repiled, "Not at all."

As her guard tried to get up again, she slamed the gun across his head and he fell to the floor. While she was distracted, Sherlock reached into the safe and took something out of it. Nearby, Amy has checked her guard over and stood up.

She confirmed, "He's dead."

Irene said to Sherlock, "Thank you. You were very observant."

Amy frowned, "Excuse me?"

"I'm flattered."

Sherlock muttered, "Don't be."

Amy glanced between the two of them, "Flattered?"

"They'll be more of them. They're keeping an eye on the building."

At that moment, John rushed in, panting. He bent down and placed his hands on his knees as he asked, "What did I miss?"

Sherlock turned towards him and said loudly, "John! Where the hell were you?" John stood up straight and looked at Amy and then back to Sherlock while saying, "Amy handcuffed me?"

Sherlock sharply turned his head to look at Amy and glare at her, "Why the hell did you do that?"

"Well you said-"

"Yes I know what I said, but I was just joking! Goddammit Amy!" Amy bent her head to look at the ground and muttered, "Sorry Sherlock." Sherlock gave Amy a hard stare before hurrying out of the room followed by John and Amy, while Irene walked over to the safe and stared at it, eyes wide open. 

Thoughts ran through Amy's head. Sherlock never jokes. He never joked even as a child. He obviously realized he was wrong on letting John stay outside, but he didn't want to admit it. Nor did he want to apologise to her. She blinked back her tears. She realised she loved him five minutes ago and straight after that, he was a big dick to her. 

Then there was Irene. 

Irene Alder. What was so great about her anyway? Domatrix. It was just a fancy way of saying prostitute, not that Amy had anything against prostitutes. She likes to act all smart and sexy by hiding that stupid phone in that safe, and well would you look at that! There was a gun in the safe!

Amy scoffed in her brain, where she imagined herself sitting in the center of it saying all of these thoughts aloud. Time in her thoughts was slow, it seemed like they would take hours, when it was actually a few minutes. It's called a mind palace, that was what Aunt Sharon had called it.

Anyone smart enough would have thought of that idea, the gun. Also, what was up with her, strutting in naked as if she was going to eat Sherlock alive right there. Amy rolled her eyes and imagined herself getting up from her desk and walking through the hallway. Her mind palace took the image of her Leadworth house, except that it was equip with mind palacxe versions of The Doctor, Rory and River. 

The three of them were 'sleeping', or at least she wanted them to. Amy didn't want them to disturb her, for once. Amy walked over to a room which wasn't in her home originaly, but decided to add it into her mind. She carefully unlocked it and opened the door.

Sitting inside, was the young Sherlock Holmes. The minute he glanced up at her, all the childhood memories came flooding back. That was what mind palaces were for, weren't they? To store things. 

~~~~~~

Short chapter, mostly because I've been having a writer's block, ew. I decided to make Amy have a mind palace, the idea came to me suddenly. Sorry if you don't like it. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy this chapter.