Chapter 7

They returned to Zora's Domain in the early evening. Zelda and Link immediately headed to the throne room, bowing to the king and his daughter that stood beside him. Link remained on one knee, however Zelda stood to address them.

"We have successfully dealt with the beast that was disturbing your people."

"Thank you Princess." The king said in a loud, low voice that echoed in the room. "We are grateful for your aid. Because of the efforts of you and this young swordsman, the Council and I will not consider secession from Hyrule itself, and we will cooperate with the king. If you are set to be the next ruler, I believe this kingdom will prosper."

"Thank you." The princess bowed her head gratefully.

Carella, who had been watching silently, wore a stern expression on her face, almost as if she were scowling a bit.

"Tomorrow we will host festivities here in the Domain; if you two are able to spare a day you will be welcomed here." Zelda paused to think.

"I am sure that Link and I can stay to celebrate." She smiled, dismissing herself and the swordsman from the hall. They headed back to their chambers, quickly getting ready to eat dinner.

They ate at the grand dining hall near the center of the Domain. The two of them sat with two other Zoras; a girl named Laeila, who had a knack for tailoring and jewelry making, and a young man named Reno, who was both a skilled warrior and musician. The four of them shared good conversation and laughter for the better part of an hour. By the time the group finally parted ways, Link and Zelda had made two new friends. However, the princess couldn't help but steal glances at Carella, who remained by herself, her icy gaze focused on the table below her.

Nightfall came quickly, and the weary princess and swordsman were soon ready to rest. However, when the time came to lie down and fall asleep, it proved difficult for both of them. After a long period of restlessness, Zelda finally got out of her bed and headed next door. She quietly knocked on Link's door, hoping he would be awake as well. Luckily, he hadn't been able to sleep either. He opened the door, slightly confused and disoriented.

What he did not expect to see was the princess, standing before him in her nightgown. His face immediately grew red and hot, and he could feel his palms become damp with sweat. It was entirely inappropriate of her to show up to his door inadequately dressed. Nobody should have been allowed to see her like this, especially not him. He took a deep breath, trying to compose himself at least a little bit.

"...Princess?" He stammered, looking anywhere he could that wasn't at her.

"Zelda." She corrected him.

"R-right." He took a step back, thankful for the darkness that was concealing his without a doubt bright red face. "What are you... doing?"

"Couldn't sleep," She replied, "I thought that maybe we could, you know, get to know each other some more. It was nice last night."

"Oh, o-okay." He mumbled, and the princess led them out to sit on the balcony. He couldn't ignore how beautiful she was, though, with the moonlight shining on her porcelain skin. Her long, soft hair was not tied up at all, and it cascaded down past her bare shoulders. Her eyes sparkled more beautifully than any precious gem he had ever seen before. There was no doubt that she was descended from the Goddess Hylia.

"I have been missing my home," She began, her eyes fixed on the moon, "But I've been enjoying my time away, for the most part. I feel... free."

"If I lived at the castle I would never want to leave." He remarked. Zelda paused.

"That is what everybody says... but it is far from perfect. I care about this kingdom and all of its people, but it seems that nobody else can understand that. My mother only thinks it is important for me to act like a lady. She does not understand that I want to learn and be strong and become something more than a pretty face to accompany some man. And my father, he only pressures me to think about marriage. He cares about who the next king will be, and speaks as if it could never be me who truly rules." He frowned with concern, noticing the way she wrung her hands sitting in her lap. "I want to prove them wrong."