Chapter 14

Zelda took a deep breath, trying to still herself as she just about spiraled into a panic. But that was no use, because she could feel her heart pounding and her hands shaking and tears coming to her eyes.

"Link?" She called out in a voice that was weak and worried.

Her first thought was that Link ran away. That he left her for some reason- he no longer wanted to help her; he was afraid.

"Link!" She crier again, though she knew he wasn't there.

She could feel her breaths shortening with anxiety and fear as the world around her seemed to go out of focus. Hot tears spilled down her cheeks as she tried to understand what had happened.

Why did he run?

Why would he leave her?

She thought she'd shared some sort of special bond with Link. She thought that she'd mattered to him. Her memories of him flashed before her eyes and she felt something horrible in her stomach. She doubled over, worried she was about to be sick.

How could she have been so wrong?

Her heart was breaking as she cried, incapable of doing anything else for a moment.

She wiped her eyes, trying to look around as her body shook with sobs.

His sword and shield were laying on the ground along with the rest of his belongings. He wouldn't leave them. He wouldn't leave everything behind.

Maybe he hadn't run away.

And then she heard something faint. Some sort of voice. Zelda sniffed, trying to quiet herself.

He is in danger.

It was a strange voice, speaking in some sort of ancient tongue. But somehow, she knew. She understood.

Her eyes darted over to the sword, glowing ever so faintly. She remembered reading about this. An old spirit resided in the Master Sword, one that assisted the hero of the sky on his legendary journey.

Somehow, she knew this was the same voice. And now it was speaking to her.

Link hadn't left her. Something had happened to him, and she needed to go find him.

Though she was beyond relieved that he had not run from her, she was still terribly worried. She knew she had no time to spare. Her crying ceased as she forced herself to focus.

Hastily, she gathered all of his things and packed them away. She strapped the sword and shield to her back. The moment she picked up the Master Sword, she felt it resist. She was not the chosen wielded of the sword, but she would handle the discomfort until she got to him.

The door opened behind Zelda. She saw Impa standing in the doorway, a very concerned expression upon her face.

"Where is Link?" She asked.

"I don't know. I have to find him."

The Sheikah woman nodded solemnly.

"I'll have the village searched at once." Impa promptly left, leaving Zelda on her own once again.

The princess gathered everything, and then headed back to her own room to get what was left.

She put on her traveling clothes and tied her hair back hastily, heading back outside. The sun was just beginning to rise now, the clouds having turned orange against the blue sky.

Impa was frowning and conversion with a few of the other villagers. Zelda knew she did not have any good news.

"We couldn't find him. And one of our own has gone missing as well."