Chapter 26 - Ethan

'I remember the Melody incident.' Orlton grunts. 'How do we know she won't go psycho like her? Godfrey wiped that poor little town of all existence and sank it, do any of us want that happening to their people?'

There was a resounding murmur around the table, many of the council members agreeing with him.

'My father had enough sense to take his family and his people and jump realms before the chaos.'

'Miranda has never gone down that path, Melody was just being a spoiled brat. Josie has no want for a realm of her own, there is a difference between the two times, yes?' Lucian, the king of our realm tries to reason with Orlton, the painfully annoying king of the vampire kingdom Istanala.

He looks up at the ceiling, shaking his head.

'You might want to stay and watch, but not me. I will be taking my family and my people and moving to Eskgarth.'

'So be it.' Lucian flicks his hand with a huff. 'As for the rest of you, those who want to take your kingdom and mass jump realms are free to do so, the council will not stop you and dark beings only, don't bother trying to take humans. The gate will open at 0-900 tomorrow to Askara'velmanti and will remain open for twenty-four hours after that you will be required to seek permission from the council to mass jump.'

The king looks over to a council member.

'What of Rollingson?'

'Sire, he has taken to associating with a vampire hunter, aligning their forces for an almighty onslaught.'

'Do you think he knows of his daughter being at Conrad's castle?'

'That information I do not have. I do not understand of what benefit the girl could be to him. Does she have control of her abilities and if so, how would it help him?'

'That is a very good question.' he looks over at Miranda 'Any thoughts?'

'She will take on the form of the largest group of beings around her until she comes of age, which for her is twenty-five, I believe that will be very soon. That is why she has remained human-like up until this point and has not had any issues with the abilities that she possesses. She has started to focus her mind quiet well, it won't be long before she can choose her form and use it to her own advantage.'

'Why was she placed with humans, what has Godfrey said on this subject?' Lucian presses Miranda.

'His reason was simple, he learned from his mistakes with Melody, and, in some respects me too. She is like a new and improved version.' she smirks a little. 'Apparently if everything works out well, I can go into the workshop and have an upgrade too.'

There is a resounding laughter around the table, the notion of Miranda being able to have an upgrade was quite funny to them.

'Godfrey placed her with humans so as not to show favouritism with any of us. He wanted her to grow up humble and appreciative of her surroundings. He didn't want another spoiled brat. The fact that she has been claimed by a vampire was not of his doing, that was purely by chance that Ethan happened upon her. It makes no difference to her abilities, nor any child that she will have, all of her children will be full phoenix. This is one of the upgrades that I mentioned.' she huffs 'Apparently if I were to have a child at this point it would be half me half the other parent, therefore the line would eventually be bred out, any child that Josie has will be purely phoenix.'

'Are you saying that the child she is carrying really isn't mine?'

'No, sorry. I didn't explain that one right. The children will be half you, half her in terms of looks, personalities but what the child is, as in a phoenix, will not be altered.'

I frown at her, still unsure of her words.

'If you had a child with a werewolf for example, it would be half phoenix vampire, half werewolf. If that child went on to have children of their own they would be quarter vampire, eventually the line would die out. With Josie, it is all phoenix. Your child will still carry your genes, it can still look like you, mannerisms, personality, just like a normal offspring would. The only difference is that she will not be half phoenix half vampire.'

'Are you sure about this upgrade Miranda?' Lucian asks a little cheekily.

'Uh, yeah, apparently that is a definite one. No options there, Godfrey says it's a necessity.'

'So does Josie have a purpose?'

'Godfrey has said that she has a purpose but he does not know what it is.'

'How is that possible?' someone bellows from the other end of the table.

'There is something that you all need to understand about Godfrey, there are times when he creates something, a creature, a type of being, a plant, whatever.' she frowns. 'He does it but he doesn't know why. He had created her just after he sank Atlantis but never sent her here, again he didn't know why. Then one day he decided to send her, there was no reason, it just entered his mind that it was her time and he placed the baby within the human mother. He knows she has a purpose, he knows he created her for a reason but he doesn't know why. When the time comes, he said we will know her purpose, it will be obvious to us.'

'So that's it? We just sit around and twiddle our thumbs until the day comes when her purpose is clear?'

'Yes.'

I knew that this concept was displeasing to the majority of the kings sitting at the table, Lucian however, didn't concern himself with it. He knew better than to concern himself with such trifle matters. He knew that Josie would be a calm phoenix like Miranda. Nicoleta on the other hand was still concerned, which is understandable. She saw the nightmare that was her city, the nightmare that Melody had caused. Many a life was lost in those dark days, including her whole family. She was all that remained of her family. But there was something different about her now, she seemed at peace, happy almost.

'Now, moving onto other matters.' Lucian begins. 'My beautiful wife and I have an announcement.'

Nicoleta smiles at him as he takes her hand.

'We are to be blessed with a child.'

Everyone at the table was most pleased with the concept of Nicoleta being pregnant. Everyone likes a royal baby. As everyone congratulated them, a flurry of questions about the child, the impending due date, the gender of the child, it was all directed at the now very flustered Nicoleta. She quietly answered every single question that was thrown at her, in the chaos I looked over at Miranda, who sat there very quietly, a happy smile on her beautiful face. Her eyes dart in my direction.

Did you have something to do with it? What would make you say that Ethan? Because you are unusually quiet, two of your dearest friends have announced their pregnancy and yet you sit there saying nothing, almost like you already knew. Of course I already knew, Nicoleta told me. Right, so the story of Melody making Nicoleta baron, was that untrue? She pursed her lips and frowned. No she huffed that little shit did make her baron. So this was your doing? A grin curled into the corner of her mouth. Of course.