2

{Song: 3005 by Childish Gambino}

"It's been a while, huh? I have dearly missed you and the Lake of Shining Waters, of course."

Anne turned around slowly and her eyes lay on Gilbert's well known smirk. His arm was up against her doorframe, and his eyes twinkled with excitement.

Gilbert had changed in the year he had been gone, and most definitely not for the worst. He was a bit more muscular, and taller for sure, but his smile and curly hair was still the same.

"I've missed you a bit," Anne said looking down at her feet. "But only because there is no one to compete with in class." She quickly added.

"Is that really the only reason? Do you just look at me as a piece of competition, Anne?" Gilbert said sadly.

"N-no." Anne stuttered. She felt very nervous, and suddenly her feet felt glued to the floor.

"Anne." Gilbert whispered quietly while walking towards her, stopping when he was only a couple feet away.

Anne immediately raised her head so that she and Gilbert's eyes connected.

"Tell me you missed me, more than just a competitor. Please." He said, his face fallen, and his original smile nowhere to be found.

"You're mighty close to me right now Gilbert." Anne said dryly, though she secretly didn't mind.

"I know."

"Your breath smells like peppermint. Do you have a peppermint? I love peppermint, it's so fresh and sweet, and gives you sort of a rush when you taste it. So, do you have any peppermint?"

Gilbert chuckled softly. "There she is."

"Who?" Anne asked, confused.

"The Anne I missed, there she is. Going on a rant about peppermint. You know, five minutes ago, I didn't even like peppermint. But after hearing you talk about it, I suddenly love it."

Anne only smiled, for she didn't know what to say. Gilbert seemed as if he had matured over the time he was gone, and Anne didn't mind.

"So. I'm here for a reason right? So, there's this dance. You can say no of course but—"

"Yes!" Anne yelled, quickly covering her hand with her mouth afterwards. "I mean, um, please continue." She said, her face beet red.

Gilbert couldn't help but to smile, for this was Anne and she always made him smile. "Anyways, as I was saying, there's a dance next Saturday, and I was wondering if you would like to come?...with me I mean...like as friends...or whatever."

"Of course I will Gil, it'll be fun!"

"Who's Gil?"

"I was trying out a nickname, I can clearly see it doesn't work." Anne said, her cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"I like it!" Gilbert said with a small smile.

"No you don't."

"Yeah, I know."

The two laughed in harmony, and it was a beautiful sound indeed.

"Call me Gilly." Gilbert said with a wink.

"Why?" Anne said. She didn't think Gilly was a very nice nickname.

"Because, it's nice. And no one else calls me that, so it'll be your special thing."

"Okay...Gilly."

"Yeah."

There was then a short time of silence in which Anne and Gilbert never broke eye contact once. It wasn't awkward, for it was as if they were communicating with their eyes instead of their mouths.

"Um, okay so I have to go, you know I would love to stay and talk more, but I should go do stuff, see more people. You're the first person I saw, so I have to go surprise the others...You clearly weren't surprised."

"Yeah, Ruby sort of came over and told me this morning."

Gilbert chuckled and shook his head. "Good ol' Ruby...she's honestly obsessed with me."

"I don't blame her." Anne said without thinking. Her eyes quickly widened as she realized what she had said.

"Uh huh...anyways, until tomorrow Ms.Anne. Would you accompany me at church?"

"It'd be an honor!" Anne said with a loud laugh.

"I'll be looking forward to it." Gilbert said with a toothy smile.

"Me too."

Gilbert reluctantly began to walk out of Anne's room.

"And Anne?" He said, turning around quickly.

"Yes?"

"I heard you talking to yourself about the dresses. I like the one in the middle, it would look very nice on you."

And with that, and a single wink, Gilbert—or Gilly—left.