4

{Song: Flowers by In Love With a Ghost }

Church ended rather quickly to Anne, for she was focused on Gilbert's award winning smile more than she was focused on the sermon.

"Anne, would you like to walk around a bit before you go home?" Gilbert questioned. Anne looked up at Marilla with pleading eyes. Marilla nodded and smiled softly, causing Anne to jump with joy.

"Let's go!"

+++

"Where are we going?" Anne asked Gilbert. They were walking hand in hand through a brightly colored field. As far as the eye could see was only lush land. Anne wasn't sure how long they had been walking, but she didn't mind.

"There!" Gilbert replied, pointing at a large tree about 20 feet away. Anne immediately disconnected her hand from Gilbert's and ran to the tree as fast she could.

Gilbert on the other hand, took his time and walked slowly. As soon as he arrived, Anne immediately wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him into a tight hug.

"You planned a picnic!" She said, her eyes slightly wet.

It was so thoughtful, what Gilbert did. He had indeed set up a picnic, with strawberries, sandwiches and juice.

"This is so sweet of you." Anne said, still baffled by the surprise.

"Let's eat." Gilbert said, hungry and thirsty from the long stroll they had taken.

+++

The two children in love sat on a blanket as they ate and drank, laughing at things we wouldn't understand, and sneaking glances at each other every few seconds. They were using the time to get to know each other better.

"Favorite color?" Gilbert asked while taking a sip of apple juice.

"I like yellow. It's such a beautiful, soft color, specifically when it's in a pastel shade." Anne responded.

"I like green. It's rich, and mighty." Gilbert said confidently.

"Oh?" Anne said with a small giggle. "Interesting."

Gilbert simply shrugged and placed the lid onto his juice bottle. "We should get going, it'll be sunset soon." He said, his eyes on the sky.

"Good idea!" Anne remarked, jumping up off of the blanket and folding it neatly. "I almost said that we should take the leftover food...but there is none."

"Yeah, you ate it all." Gilbert smirked.

"More like you did!"

"Whatever! Race me home?"

"I'm going to beat you, Gilbert Blythe!"

Anne and Gilbert ran through the field, Anne waving the blanket in the air, her red hair flowing behind her. Gilbert ran beside her, his laughter carrying through the wind, and his smile making the sun gleam.

The pink sky shown on the two in the perfect light, and if anyone could if photographed that moment, it would have fit splendidly in a picture book.

~

Surprise update wowza