Ch. 2

Clarke watched out her window as the airport grew bigger and bigger. With her carry on in her hand, Clarke stood, moving along with the sea of people exiting the plane.

As she found her suitcase, she turned, arms being wrapped around her torso tightly. "I can't believe you're here!"

Clarke returned her best friend's hug, holding back her emotions. "I missed you, too, Rave."

Clarke pulled back, drinking in her best friend. Her hair was different, more of a caramel color about halfway down, a few shades lighter than her skin. "How much time do I have?" Raven asked.

"I'm in the city for two weeks," Clarke answered. "I'm all yours. I'll be in the hotel closest to your dorms."

Rave hooked her arm in Clarke's and lead her through the crowds, out into the sweltering heat. They made their way through the enormous parking lot, finally arriving at Raven's car. They put Clarke's stuff in the trunk and head to the interstate, stopping only through a drive-thru before they pulled into the hotel parking lot.

"This room is like, five times bigger than my dorm!" Raven gasped.

"You're welcome to crash with me," Clarke smiled. "Two whole weeks!"

"Bet!" Raven laughed. "I'll be soaking in that giant tub for hours." She jumped up onto the huge bed. "Okay, come on. Tell me everything."

Clarke settled next to Raven on the bed, spilling details. She told Raven about all of the hotels, the beaches, the sights, the foods she tried, the people she met, the night clubs she visited, and all of the train rides. What Clarke didn't tell her was that yeah, she had had the time of her life. The beaches were amazing and relaxing, at first. But, over the last few weeks, not so much.

"Are you okay being back, though? Are you just visiting?" Raven asked.

Clarke nodded. "I'm good. I'm back permanently, this is where I want to be."

Raven laid back onto the plush, fluffed pillows. "Do you remember running away when we were younger?"

Clarke chuckled. "Of course. I ran away more times than I can even count." Clarke swallowed. "Every time I fought really bad with Mom. Do you remember her threatening to call the police?"

"Which time?!" Raven laughed loudly. "She was so pissed that time you stayed gone for the whole weekend. What were we, seventeen? Sleeping in the car?" Raven chuckled.

"Yes," Clarke laughed. "Yeah, we were. I was a fucking horrible daughter. I'm pretty sure my mother should be suffering many conditions related to stress because of me."

Raven intertwined her fingers with Clarke's. "You know, that may be the first time you've ever admitted that," she said softly. "But, maybe this means that you two can repair your relationship?"

"Yeah," Clarke nodded. "Maybe."