Ch. 23

"Special delivery," Bellamy interrupted Clarke's lunch briefly to hand her the degree.

"Thank you so much, Bellamy. Mom, this is Bellamy."

Abby shook his hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you ma'am," he smiled.

"You favor your mother," Abby smiled, sadly.

"My sister does even more," he laughed, gesturing to Octavia.

"My god, she does!" Abby gasped.

"It was a pleasure meeting you," I'll send Octavia over with your drinks. Bellamy told Octavia to handle their table and made himself busy by the counter, absolutely eavesdropping.

"What is that?" Her mother asked.

"My degree?"

"Clarke, I'm so confused. How do you have a degree already? And how can you afford furniture? I know that you had a college fund, and inheritance, and you had been saving your checks up. More than expected. But, you spent three years in hotels and on planes."

"Actually, I spent more nights in my car than in hotels," Clarke admitted. "I wanted to be away, but I didn't want to blow all of my money. I got two grants that covered my school, I did everything online. I still followed the life plan."

"I assumed the plan wad on hold," Abby said. "I'm so proud of you, Clarke. Though I don't like the thought of you sleeping in your car."

Bellamy went back in the kitchen after that, making himself busy. The more he learned about Clarke, the more she amazed him. She had enough sense and smarts to save money for her future. She lived all over the States and Europe but still dedicated herself to school. She was living in a car for Pete's sake.

She had always seemed so free and whole on the post cards, but now he knew she wasn't. She was damaged, too.

Now that she owned the house, would she be here permanently? She seemed to be truly happy, but what did Bellamy know? He had only met her days ago.

Bellamy wanted her to stay. He was going to ask her to stay, before someone else did.