(6)Stepping on Eggshells

'Some things you just never talk of again...'

Stepping on Eggshells

Nyx smiled broadly; "What a good day it is; my sons have returned!" 

Her looming eyes shifted to my face; "And they've brought me a gift..."

I opened my mouth to speak, but Thanatos' icy tone cut through the air; "She's not a gift." He looked severely annoyed as Nyx folded her hands in front of her and smiled with amusement; "She's-"

"I know who she is." Nyx turned her predatory smile towards me. I could see where Thanatos had gotten it from. "Aurora, the replacement. How... quaint."

I tried to control my temper. I bowed slightly; "My lady."

She ignored me and turned her smile back to her two sons; "Come in! You must be freezing."

She turned around and headed up the stairs, her long black dress gathering snow as she walked. Thanatos and Hypnos exchanged an irritated look. Hypnos walked up first as Thanatos moved to my side and whispered; "I apologise for-"

"Don't." I tenderly smiled up at him; "It's not your fault."

He nodded with a frown and led me up the stairs, his hand on the small of my back. Irma followed behind us, her pale face nervous from the awkward interaction that'd just taken place.

I felt it too. It was going to be a long night.

Nyx led us into the grand mansion- it was massive, but bitter cold and desolate. I couldn't imagine raising children here- there was no warmth. No love.

Thanatos' broad shoulders were covered with a black, fur shawl, his boots covered in snow and his black, leather armour icy cold

Thanatos' broad shoulders were covered with a black, fur shawl, his boots covered in snow and his black, leather armour icy cold. Hypnos was quieter than usual, his grey attire and fur covered with small specks of snow. I patted my coat and rubbed my furry gloved hands together; the cold was bone-biting. Thanatos noticed and quickly pulled me in towards his chest; the warmth of his body filling me with comfort.

Nyx stopped in the middle of a large room filled with books and old marble furniture. The twins looked around, the recognition clear on their faces. The fireplace crackled with heat and I itched to go sit next to it. My feet already felt like they were cramping up.