(20)Hell is in a Pale Deceit

Did you notice the familiar title? Each book has a title that starts with 'Hell is...'

'War may be violent and the sun might give life, but in the end everything would end with Death

'War may be violent and the sun might give life, but in the end everything would end with Death...'

Hell is in a Pale Deceit

"Ares."

The room fell deadly quiet.

No one moved an inch; too afraid to respond. Like someone was watching...

Thanatos' expression belonged on a statue. His hand just as cold as marble as it took mine and led me to the table. I sat down next to him, my limbs creaking. An array of emotions were flung from the crown of my head, spilling onto the floor, leaving the room slick with our joint anger and relief.

The rest moved towards us, their lips parted and skin pale.

"Close the doors." I folded my hands on the table, but kept Thanatos' hand locked in mine.

Someone is watching.

It was the only thought in my mind at that stage; plastered right next to the image of Ares scowling in the dark, his sinister eyes shark-like and haunting. Ready.

Barrios did as I asked. He moved swiftly, cracking the air with his cape.

Hypnos spoke up; filling our minds with a voice other than our own- "We have them."

"It's over?" Sonya's innocence didn't fit in the room.

Thanatos was quick to respond; "I'm afraid it's only just begun..."

Hypnos' eyes found mine from across the table. I gritted my teeth and raised my chin; "We have them, but they have us too." My gaze travelled along the table to Trita and Sonya; "Now the chess begins."

"We can't play chess without all the pieces on the board." Barrios at down next to his platinum-haired girlfriend, taking her trembling hand in his. His eyes were sharp and focused on his boss.

Thanatos nodded. "He has a point."

"We don't have a choice." I shook my head and Hypnos agreed; "She's right. Hermes has no idea who the third person is- no one does, except for Ares. He's the only one in contact with the third traitor."