9. Missing

MISSINGBy MakaylaSophia

MISSING
By MakaylaSophia

Sophie's best friend, Elise, goes missing and she must find her in a dark wood during the darkest time of the night. What she discovers, though, is not what she or her friend had been hoping for.

I walked in silence through the dark wood, my eyes looking carefully at my surroundings as the fog began creeping up from the ground

I walked in silence through the dark wood, my eyes looking carefully at my surroundings as the fog began creeping up from the ground. The witching hour, the quiet, eerie moments between midnight and three in the morning, was never a pleasant time to go for a stroll through the wood. I had been one of the lead investigators on the recent group of missing people in town, and when I had discovered my best friend, Elise, was part of the missing, I decided to take the case head on.

Trudging, I ducked under the investigation tape that lined the edges of the wood. The last time I had been here, only a few days prior, I had found a piece of Elise's red dress she'd worn to the bar earlier that evening. With one hand, I grasped a small flashlight, my pale fingers wrapping around it firmly, and in the opposite hand, my palm lay flat against the pistol situated on my right hip. Brown eyes narrowing, my lips pursed into a hard line as I continued forward cautiously.

I cleared my throat as I called out, "Elise!" I flashed the light in multiple directions, my eyes narrowing as I watched my surroundings. I listened to the small noises around me, the soft breath of the wind trickling through the foliage above my head and the small bugs that only come out at night chirping at my feet. The flashlight was my only guidance, the thick canopy above blocking out any traces of the moon.

I continued forward for a few more minutes, forcing myself to recollect what Elise had been wearing when she went missing. She'd had her hair tied into an intricate updo, a red dress that reached her knees, and simple black heels. Turning my light toward the ground, I looked carefully for any more evidence that might show up. As I continued onward, something shiny caught my eye. I bent down, my hand reaching out as I picked up a scuffed heel that was leaning against the edge of the bottom of a tree. I turned it over in my hand, investigating it. I knew immediately it was Elise's, and I cursed under my breath. I threw it to the ground angrily, my lips forming a hard line.