6

The next day passed incredibly slowly.

To Shiro, it melted together into a day consisting of blood tests, reading, and repetitive conversations with Honerva. She didn't seem to want to leave him tonight, apologising time and time again; Shiro practically had to grovel so that she wouldn't call the meal off.

"Takashi, I'm so sorry," she said for what felt like the hundredth time. They were sat at the end of the breakfast bar, blood pressure monitor inflated around Shiro's arm. The air conditioning must have been stronger that day, as he felt cold against the solid steel of the stool. In front of him, Honvera was studying the output from the machine, lips pursed in a regretful line. "I can call it off, I don't need to go."
"Mom, you can't not go," Shiro replied with a sigh, nearly pushing the armband off once he heard the beep, "I'll be fine, I promise."
She shot him a sceptical glare. "You'll call me if you feel ill?"
"Of course-"
"And you won't do anything reckless?"
"Would I?"
She sat back and breathed slowly, brushing off her legs as she stood. "Of course not, I'm sorry."

The blood pressure monitor went back in the box with a click, and Honerva slid it back into a side cupboard. "Well, you're checking out okay," she finally confirmed with a smile, "I'm going to go and change, I'll see you in a bit." As she left, she pressed a light kiss against the crown of his head, before elegantly walking out the room.
In his pocket, his phone buzzed.

[17:35] Lance:
So, what time do you want me over? I don't think your mom has left yet :(

[17:35] Shiro:
I'll text you. Hopefully she should be leaving soon

[17:36] Lance:
I'll keep an eye out ;)

God, he hoped she would leave sooner.

~

It was half past eight when Honerva eventually left, and not without another bout of forceful assurances. By the time Shiro heard the airlock slide shut, he already felt tired, and it was another ten minutes before he finally heard the car accelerate down the road .

At last, he was alone.

For a second, he sat, just to make sure his mother wasn't going to come back, but only silence greeted him.

[20:45] Shiro:
It's safe, come on down

[20:47] Lance:
See you in a second, beefy boy

'Beefy boy'? It must have gotten hotter in here, since his cheeks felt like they were burning and his heart was pounding faster in his chest. Admittedly, part of it was apprehension. Tonight, he was directly going against everything his mother spend his entire life guarding him against; he was inviting an unrecognised stranger into the house, he was spending the night with said stranger, and he had flirted with said stranger.
It was understandable he was scared.

He hardly had time to feel scared though, as the doorbell rang several seconds later.
"Hey, big guy, you gonna' let me in?" A voice called from the airlock, accompanied by a quick, rhythmic tapping on the thick glass.

Shiro had never run to the door so quickly. His finger nearly missed the button from the hypertension headache, but a cheer and the rush of water from the front sink made a large grin erupt on his face.
"Yo, Shiro," Lance quickly said a moment later, sticking his head out from the second door, "how do I use your irradiate-inator?"
"I thought Coran went over it with you," Shiro said with a laugh, moving through the door and helping Lance into the irradiator, "just stay still."

In the rush of lasers and air, Lance looked like a bit of an idiot. He had his arms held out in an exaggerated fashion, and his head was raised at an interesting angle. His hair was spiked from the rush of air, sticking up in uneven tufts or flattening against his face, and his skin was practically glowing in the harsh light rather than becoming washed out like Shiro did. From slightly below him, Shiro could see all the double chins that Lance was intentionally pulling, and could also see right up his nose.
He'd never seen anyone so beautiful.