He-

What?

"I'm sorry," Shiro stuttered into the phone, falling back against the pillows, "what do you mean?"

There was another huff from the receiver, along with more shuffling of papers. "Upon admission, your medical records were sent to us by your local doctor," Doctor Marmora explained, starting to sound like his impatience was running thin, "there's no records after a major RCT fifteen years ago - no mention of any diagnosed SCID until after a different doctor's intervention."

"My- my mother is that doctor," he replied, sitting up and balling fists in the blankets, "she diagnosed me, she knows what she's looking for-"

"Doctor Shirogane, I'm aware," the Doctor interrupted flatly, "but we have reason to believe that she was rather, ah, hasty with her diagnosis."

Hasty?

But what was there to be hasty about? Surely, either he had it, or he didn't, there wasn't much to argue about-

"Instead, your blood tests show an incredibly weakened immune system, but that's likely due to a lack of contact with the outside world, and the impact that the RTC had on your external defences," Doctor Marmora explained, and Shiro felt a strong, iron hand begin to twist his lungs tightly, "we would have to get your vaccines up to date, and schedule some form of gradual interaction with the outside world - does that sound plausible to you?"

Part of him wanted to object, angrily even. He had been given no reason to ever distrust his mother, no cause to think twice about her diagnoses; if this wasn't true, then what was his life? A stage show, to millions of doctors around the world, just to prove she could do what the Vetters failed in 1971?

"I'll- I'll need think about it," Shiro barked, after realising the Doctor was still awaiting an answer, "can I call you back?"

"Of course," Doctor Marmora replied, almost immediately, and there was a hint of relief in his voice, "I am requesting transferral to your local hospital, for your local doctor believed it would be best if I treated you personally, so next time we meet, it may be in person."

"I'll see you soon then," Shiro replied quickly, hoping the waver in his voice wasn't too audible, "and thank you for saving my life, I guess."

Doctor Marmora chuckled. "My pleasure, glad to see you're feeling better."

With that, the receiver clicked off, leaving Shiro with just a ringing in his ear and a sinking, hollow, writhing feeling in his chest.

He exhaled heavily for what felt like the first time in a while, falling back on the bed as his phone dropped next to him.

It was hard to think that his mother had lied to him. Honerva was honest - sure, he didn't like the truth sometimes, and often she was harsh with her judgement, but she was generally right. Anyway, not only did this have repercussions for their family, but also for her reputation. Part of her image, her name, was built up on the survival of 'America's only living SCID patient.'

If this was true, her career was ruined.

She was ruined.

Sat there, with only the ambient noise of the medical equipment to save him from the silence, he couldn't think of one reason why his mother would lie.

Maybe the Doctor was wrong.

If Honvera had lied, his life would've been a sham. He could've gone to school, high school, collage, could've played team sports outside of Fantasy Football and acted in shows like he saw in all those teen high school drama movies. He could've had friends - more friends - and girlfriends, boyfriends, partners, one time half-mistakes made at parties after several pints of cheap beer.