The Maitlands

Dedicated to Winona Laura Horowitz

Winona Ryder as Lydia Deetz

Lydia Deetz and the house's ghost

Chapter 2: The Maitlands

Several weeks passed and my mistress was immersed in reading the strange manual, I lost count of how many times Lydia had already reread it from beginning to end. However, the amount of information in the book was incredible, it was the Grail!, the Necronomicon of the occult world! and best of all, it was authentic! However, no matter how much I listened to my mistress with all the attention and concentration possible whenever she reread the manual aloud in her room, I didn't understand almost anything, even she with how intelligent she was (she liked to read), she just understood every aspect of the book at the second reading of it.

Change of coordinates, latitudes and longitudes each time the soul of people tele-transported from one place to another, or when they passed through a particular geographical area, etc., etc., etc. Understandable reading only for someone dedicated to theoretical physics as my mistress told me. And the most frustrating thing of all, whoever wrote the manual, did it in such a way that they seemed to think: "let's write a manual of what happens after death, but let's make it as complicated as possible", since the manual didn't seem to have a basic structure or "skeleton" at the time of its writing, lacking footnotes, summaries, indexes,"facts" of any kind or any other help for readers that any book is supposed to have.

At first I was a little restless about the book, but then I was thankful that my mistress was obsessed with the manual, since it was surely this one that kept her sane. The noise in reconstructing the house was insufferable, and when that work was finished, Delia devoted herself to creating her works of art, which involved the same noise and nuisance. The woman thought she would be the cultural center of the village, but the exhibitions of her artwork were the mockery of the locals. My mistress as her insufferable stepmother have a macabre taste for art, but the artistic aesthetics of my mistress is Gothic and elegant, while Delia's is "modern and contemporary" as Lydia says, and in spite of it she was the laughingstock of the "Miss Shannon Girls' School" (which was in the upper class area of town called Peaceful Pines) from day one.

Somehow (suspected by magic), my mistress had managed to make her room not be decorated by Delia or Charles and look like the dreamy little house of Barbie or the sweethearts. For my part, after a couple of days I again felt the sensation that a strange presence was hanging over the house. Fortunately, a few rooms of the house did not suffer Delia's artistic intrusion, among them the attic (again I suspect the use of magic by Lydia), it is unfortunate that my mistress had this room locked for most of the time, so I had to resort to extreme measures, suffice it to say, that the local population of rodents (no longer rabbits, only mice and rats) decreased in numbers (it was either that or to kill also birds and fish of the place).

This time the supernatural energy source came from the impressive model of the village, but every time I jumped on it, the strange presence disappeared, even using my "Sneak" magic, which allowed me to walk on people or animals without disturbing their sleep. Whatever was circling the model were not the ghosts of the previous owners, no, it was something more cunning and evil. I had to neglect my mistress several hours a day and stand guard in place, always attentive and with my tail moving nervously from side to side (unlike dogs, we cats move our tails from side to side when we are upset). I guess during those hours when I was absent, Lydia used magic from the supernatural manual to protect the privacy of her room and attic.