Chapter Two: The Reunion

Third Person POV

By early evening, Brynn had reached the Shire. The rolling, green hills of the valley gave her hope and an appreciation of the little things. The sun had just set as she made her way along the familiar paths she had once tread with Gandalf.

She had been to the Shire several times before, usually in the spring and autumn months. The flowers were in bloom that night; the smell of honeysuckle and lavender tickling her nose. The vibrant green hills reminded her of the Valley she called home.

She walked along the path with a slight skip in her feet, excitement replacing the hesitance she felt in the past few hours.

She was going on an adventure.

The Hobbits were cheery folk; they laughed and called out merry: "Good-evening!" And welcomed her with pleasant: "Hellos!"

She was rather fond of the small Halflings. They were quaint, kind, tender-hearted, and perhaps even a little unpredictable. The people of the Shire had not a care in the world; they were safe and joyful; away from the darkness that plagued Middle Earth.

Brynn hoped they would always be that way, for she adored them and their innocence.

The dirt path wound around different Hobbit holes and white picket fences surrounded by fresh flowers and square shrubs. Dandelions, clover, and kingsfoil curled up alongside the route, peeking up from the soft earth.

The sky was slowly growing into a dark blue canopy now. The stars were twinkling ever so softly in the void, while the full, white moon took her place alongside her children. The crickets started chirping, playing the music of the night, and down by the river, the bullfrogs croaked, deep and loud.

Off in the distance, a barn owl hooted, followed by the screams of a screech owl.

Brynn shuddered, pulling her dark cloak tighter over her small, slender body. The warm summer breeze ruffled her hair, making her wish he had braided it. Her long, wavy locks were the color of chestnuts, flecked with soft strands of gold from the time she spent in the sun.

Her cheeks were flushed from anxiety, and her hazel eyes were hidden behind long, thick eyelashes. Her lips were full and soft pink against her tan skin. She had a handful of freckles splashed across her nose and a small scar above her right eyebrow. She had obtained it after being attacked by a rouge Orc while scouting out an unfamiliar section of the forest.

She shifted her bag on her shoulder, her bow and quiver feeling heavy while her sword knocked against her thighs in rhythm with her steps. She regretted packing so much, but she didn't know how long she would be gone. Perhaps months, maybe a year.

Her excitement turned to anxiety as she neared the top of the Hill. Below her were twinkling lights from open windows and the echoes of laughing Hobbits, making their way to the Green Dragon after a hard day's work.

In front of her, surrounded by a little gate, was a circular, green door with a bit of symbol carved into the wood. The symbol looked strangely like an "F," glowing blue against the moonlight.

So this was it.

She took a deep breath and rapped the door.

For a moment, nothing happened, and then all of a sudden, the door was flung open by a Hobbit with wild, brown curls. His eyes were dark and full of anxiety and confusion, but they lightened when he saw her.