Chapter Five- Trolls

Third Person POV

Kili and Fili were ordered to tend to the ponies, and it came as no surprise to the rest of the group when Brynn hurried along after them. She wanted to keep them company- but more importantly, she wanted to talk to Kili about their kiss.

The sky was growing dark by the time all the ponies and had been tied to low branches for the rest of the evening. Brynn yawned, stretching her arms up and over her head.

"Tired?" Fili mused.

"Yes," Brynn admitted honestly.

"Why don't you go back to camp and get some rest?" Kili suggested.

"I'm not leaving you, fellows, out here alone," she refused, "Anything might be lurking in these woods."

Kili chuckled. "We can handle anything," he announced boldly.

"Oh?" Brynn challenged, arching her eyebrows. "Is that so?"

"Don't listen to him, B," Fili smirked, his grey-green eyes twinkling. "He doesn't know what he's talking about."

The three were quiet for a moment, listening to the rustle of the branches, the chirping of crickets, and the occasional hoot of an owl. "What do you fear?" Brynn asked finally, turning to the two brothers.

Fili looked perplexed, "Pardon?"

"What do you fear?" She repeated. "What do you fear most in life?"

Kili answered first, "Disappointing my mother," he said honestly. "After my father died and Fi became the man of the family... I always seemed to be a bother. I just want to make her proud of me."

"I know your mother," Brynn said. "Or at least I did- and if she's still the woman I knew her to be, she's proud of you."

Kili forced a small smile in thanks before turning away and focusing on the ponies.

"That Dragon," Fili confessed wearily, "I've always been afraid of returning to the mountain and facing that damned thing..." His voice drifted away. "What do you fear, Brynn?"

Brynn chuckled, "My fear is pathetic compared to yours."

The two brothers waited expectedly.

"I fear loneliness," she finally confessed. "I've lived alone since my father passed... And now, being back with my people... I don't want to be without you all again."

"You won't be alone anymore," Fili promised, taking her hand in his and squeezing it reassuringly.

~~~
It was growing steadily darker and later by the time Bombur had finished preparing dinner. The thick stew bubbled in the cauldron over the fire, and the smell was wonderful. The Dwarves, who had remained at the campsite, formed a line to receive their soup

Bilbo heaved a sigh, looking about for any sign of the Wizard. "He's been a long time."

"Who?" Bofur questioned.

"Gandalf."

"He's a wizard!" the Dwarf chuckled, "He does as he chooses," he took three bowls of from Bombur and thrust them forward and into Bilbo's hands. "Here, do us a favor: take these to the young ones."

Bilbo staggered for a moment, trying to balance the three wooden bowls. "Oh," he said, "Al-alright."

As his cousin's back was turned, Bombur attempted to take more soup only to be abashed by Bofur. "Stop it," he scolded the fat Dwarf. "You've had plenty."