A nightmare

Chapter 14
~Louisa~

After we stepped out of the blue pool, I found myself back at the darkened office, still shocked, my mind is in an impact. How could this happen? How did our father never tell us anything about it? Did mum knew it? Of course she did.
She became very different before my father's death, always afraid, and very anxious. I could remember she sometimes was crying for nights.
Everything started to make sense suddenly, but why he'd do something like that? was he so brave to take such a risk? " I do not fear death, my only fear is that not to be with you". He had been always telling us.

*Flashback*

It was December 24, a Christmas eve. The smell of the baked cookies was covering all over the house, beside the fireplace a huge christmas tree that Sylvia was decorating with the shiny crystals balls, I was standing on a couple of empty boxes and handling her the crystals balls.

"I want to hang up the star up in there". I said to Sylvia, pointing with my finger to the top of the tree.

"No,it's too hight you won't be able to, just give it to me, Lou". She groaned at my childish insisting, stretching her arms for me to give her the star while she was standing up on a wooden chair to hang it.

"You can lift me up!" I insisted, furrowing my eyebrows and crossing my arms on my chest, revealing how frustrated I am.

"How? I can't lift you up on that chair, we might fall!" She said in an angry tone as her voice started to raise a little.

Dad came in sight, smiling genuinely at both of us.
He walked to me,"Girls, what's the matter?" He asked both of us.

"Sylvia doesn't want to let me hang that star up in there". I said, looking desperately up at the top of the tree.

"Well, we still can do it, you know?" He kneeled down to me, I shook my head in confusion.
He lifted me in the air suddenly which caused me to laugh loudly, He walked to me through the tree and I hung the star, I turned to look at Sylvia in victorious, sticking my tongue at her, she rolled her eyes as she was jumping down the chair.
I turned to look at dad who still was lifting me between his arms, he nipped my cheek and I smiled widely at him.

Mum came out from the kitchen holding a dish full of hot cookies emitted from it a chocolate smoke.
I clapped my hand together and ran towards mum to take the plate.
Everything seemed to be good, fine. We were all happy.
We all gathered around the fire place eating, the sound of our laughters is covering the home, the warmth of dad's arms wrapped around my shoulders.

Unpredictably a sound of a breaking glass interrupted us, it was coming from upstairs it was so loud, so messy, as if there was someone thrown himself over the glass.
I saw mum looking deadly worried at dad and she started to inhale and exhale repeatedly. I didn't understand what's going on.
Dad stared so long at mum's eyes and then he took a deep breath.

"Rosie, take the girls and go to the basement and whatever happens don't get out from there, do you hear me?" He said, holding mum's face between his hands, she nodded and took my hand as Sylvia did and we ran down to the basement.

"Dad? What is it?" I asked dad while mum was pulling me towards the door because I refused to walk, he ignored my question and locked us inside.
It was dark, cold, and so scary, It was the first time that I realized I've never been down there and that It was my first time.
The sound of our breathes was the only thing that could be heard and our heartbeats too..
"Lumos" I heard Sylvia murmuring from behind my back and raising her wand up.
I placed my ear on the door, trying to snoop what was happening outside.
There was a sound of slow footsteps, heels it was a sound of heels.