Chapter 10

Will's Point of View:

Clint repeatedly asks over comms if Steve can see Natasha. He's been looking for eyes on the spy since she disappeared after dropping something called the cradle off with us. Now the machine that Ultron is so desperate to get his hands on is in the back of the jet and static is the only response we're getting.

Then, with a finial crackle, Steve's voice comes through the headset I was given (after much pestering). "We need an extraction," a pause " Nico's down." Clint lets out a sigh, but changes course.

"What happened?" I question. That idiot better not have shadow traveled or raised the dead.

The beat of silence as Steve considers my question lasts too long. "I don't know; he teleported." I don't let him finish. Instead I cut him off with a curse under my breath.

I told Nico not to use Underworld magic, but nooo. Why in the world would the son of Hades actually listen to his doctor? "We're three minutes out from your position." Clint comments.

"Try to make it two; he doesn't look to well." Steve urges. The jet rapidly gains speed. I have to grab onto something just to keep myself from face planting on the steel flooring.

Barton was true to his word. Less than three minutes later, we arrive at the place Steve's locator says he will be. Out the front window I can see people hurrying out of the way so that we can land. We hit the ground with a jolt. I have my medical kit in hand and am exiting the jet before the ramp is fully open. The crowd isn't too bad, but there are still enough people that the only reason I know where to go is because Steve towers over everyone else. I weave around people until I reach a circular clearing in the crowd with Nico laying in the middle. Steve was right, he doesn't look very good.

Nico's longish hair fans out like a halo around his head. The dark black clashes his noticeably paler than usual skin color, which is saying something since he normally has the complexion of a vampire. His faint olive coloring is all but faded, making him look more translucent than healthy. "Have you tried to move him?" I'm not sure I want to know the answer.

"No."

I raise an eyebrow in confusion. "Why not?" I try to take a step forward since it looks like the Avenger isn't going to do anything. Without demigod reflexes, I'm sure I would have ran into the small girl that might as well have materialized in front of me.

"That's why." Steve explains.

Blocking my path to the unresponsive boy is a young girl with wavy, shoulder length, reddish blonde hair. I try to go around her, but she moves to disrupt my path again. She changes her stance to cross her arms tightly across her chest making it clear that she isn't expecting to let anyone through. With a resigned sigh, I crouch a little so that we're closer to the same size. "That's my friend over there; I need to get to him." I try to reason. The kid tightens her grip on something in her hand and starts to chew on her bottom lip. Yet she still doesn't move. "I'm his doctor; I can help him." This time she looks directly at me with deep forest green eyes. A nod, so small that that I almost miss it, tells me I'm allowed through.

I straightened up and finished the walk over to the sone of Hades. I kneel down next to him. When I go to grab his hand (for medical reasons) I phase right through him. This isn't good.

"We should get him back to Dr. Banner." Steve doesn't sound like he's gotten any closer. Probably still can't get through the little girl. "He needs a doctor."