One

A small breeze whistles through my dark, curly hair as I sit on the beach. I look over to observe the little kids playing in the freezing water of the Pacific Ocean. Living in California your whole life may have its ups, but a bitter sea was not one of them.

Take it all in. This is the last time you'll be here for a while.

My family and I were moving today. All the way across the country to North Carolina. Why? I didn't actually know why, but my parents said it was because of their work. I just stopped asking so I wouldn't annoy them.

My phone rings loudly, causing me to snap out of my daze. I glance down at my phone, swiping over the screen to answer it.

"Orion, you have to be home now. We're leaving for the airport in an hour!" My mom practically screamed into the phone.

"I know I know! I'll be home in ten minutes, don't worry," I reply.

I end the phone call quickly, knowing I couldn't wait here any longer or I would make us late. I took one final look at ocean and skated off on my rickety skateboard.

Goodbye LA.

•••••••••••

Small spaces like planes sometimes worried me. For those who are wondering, I'm a fire bender. Yeah I know, crazy right? There aren't many of us left in the world. So trying to teach myself control was difficult.

Planes have fuel, and fuel is flammable.

The long flight to NC went by quickly as I slept through most of it. Thank god, I didn't need to cause a fire by mistake.

Once my parents and I made it to my new house, much of everything furniture wise had been sent and set up already. I became more and more excited knowing I would be able to sleep in an actual bed tonight, unlike the past week where I was sleeping on a blow up mattress.

I made my way outside to the backyard, noticing the large surface pad I used to practice bending was set up. It was made of a non-flammable material and didn't even scorch if I made a mistake.

I felt a hand go over my shoulder to see my much shorter mom at my side.

"I know this is a lot for you. But it will work out for the better. I promise," she smiled.

I let out a long winded sigh.

"I hope so," I reply.

"Why don't you go practice your forms. I found a couple of old notebooks with techniques in them from my grandparents," she states.

I nod my head and quickly change my clothes. Once outside again, I see the battered notebooks on the patio. I carefully pick them up, hoping to not to rip the binding, and flick through the pages seeing ancient forms from my ancestors.

I stood in the middle of pad, standing in the beginning stance before I attempted a move. I moved my arms around my head swiftly, feeling the familiar sensation of heat run through my veins as the palms of my hands release red hot fire.

For hours I practiced the new forms, fascinated by them. Before I knew it I grew weary of heat exhaustion and collapsed onto the ground. The moment I make contact, the ground shifts, causing a very large crack.

It happened again.

Sometimes, the other elements acted strange. As if I was the one bending them. Rocks would move, air would twist, water would rise and fall with my hand. I didn't tell my parents when this would happen. But, I'm sure this happens to the other benders, right? There were so little of us left in the world, who knows if all could bend the four elements instead of just one?

"Orion, it's time for dinner!" I hear my father yell from inside the house.

I pull some grass from a particularly full part of the yard and pile it over the crack in the ground. Hopefully my parents wouldn't notice it.

I make my way into the house, wash my hands and sit down for dinner. It was quiet at first. Very odd for my family. Usually my dad and I would get into deep discussions about everything and anything he would see on the news. However, it was the complete opposite tonight.

"Are you ready for your first day?" My mom asks breaking the silence. I set my fork down, feeling anxiety rush inside me.

"Sure mom, who wouldn't be excited about going to a new school a month after school starts during their senior year?" I ask bitterly.

"Orion, you know this wasn't our choice. We're doing this for you," my dad states.

I sit back in exasperation.

"You know, you keep saying that but how? How is this helping me!?" I reply back becoming angrier.

"You'll see in time dear," my mom says rather calm.

Too agitated to finish eating, I walk up to my room without a word and slam my door with all my might. How could they keep saying this to me? Without any real explanation? It must be something important if they refused to tell me. But I was old enough to be trusted, wasn't I?

Now being too angry to fall asleep, I laid in bed for what felt like forever. I flicked my fingers, making little flames shoot out of my fingertips. It reminded me of when you attempt to start a hand held lighter, sparks occasionally flying out of it. I stare into a small flame residing in my hand.

"Don't mess this up dude," I whispered to myself. I turn out the flame, closing my eyes and finally falling into an uneasy sleep.