Chapter 5: Watch and Learn

© 2017 D.S. Little All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission from the author, except as permitted by U.S. Copyright law.
*************

Chanel

"Okay we have to dance to this song." My co-worker, Malae Taupo, sang while pulling me towards the dance floor. A Bruno Mars song was playing. It was a mid-tempo song, so it didn't require me to do much but move my hips. When I went out with my girls, I would turn all the way up. But being out with my co-workers and having my supervisor also with us, I was trying to be as reserved as possible. I was still the newbie, so I knew they were watching. It had been my supervisor's idea for us to go out as a group, for some sort of a team bonding thing. So, technically, I was still on the clock. I had to keep it classy.

I swayed my hips and danced along to the song, trying not to do too much and trying not to bring any unnecessary attention to myself. But no matter how much I tried to be reserved, some random guy put his filthy hands on my waist from behind anyways. And it looked like his friend was taking the hand of Malae. She seemed to enjoy the new company, while I could only roll my eyes at the guy who was trying so hard to appear sexy while dancing with me. I turned around so that we were facing each other, I didn't know him and I definitely didn't like him grinding all on my ass.

The Bruno Mars song faded into a Chris Brown song and I decided to give this guy one more dance before I left him hanging on the floor. He was okay looking in the face, but he was trying too hard to impress me and couldn't seem to keep his hands to himself. Malae on the other hand was enjoying her dance partner to the fullest. She had thrown her long dark hair to the side, and was bent over, grinding all up on him.

When the guy I was dancing with kept trying to lean in to whisper to me, I motioned to him that I couldn't hear him. I hoped it would make him stop trying to talk over the music but it only made him lean closer and yell louder.

"You are so sexy!" He yelled into my ear. I could smell the fresh mint on his breath. It was as if he had just popped it into his mouth before dancing with me. I looked down at my all black outfit. I had paired a short-sleeved top with a ribbed, spandex pant that flared at the bottom. It was a conservatively sexy outfit that I paired with a pair of coral pumps just to give it a pop of color.

"Thank you." I told him with a smile. I thought that was it and went back to dancing.

"Can I get your number?" He leaned in to yell. I tried to act like I couldn't make out his words. He leaned in even closer and yelled again. "I would like to take you out sometime."

"I have a man." I lied to him, hoping that would end this unwanted conversation. He wasn't my type.

"That doesn't mean we can't be friends." He went on to yell in my ear anyways. Why does everybody wanna be my friend? I thought to myself. I had enough friends!

"I don't think my man would like me making any new friends." I returned and unlike him, I didn't try to talk over the music. I mouthed the words clearly so that he could understand what I was saying. But he wouldn't give up. It was starting to get annoying. As soon as the Chris Brown song was over, I pointed at my feet. "I need to go sit down. My feet are killing me." He held on to my hand as if he was trying to decide if he wanted to let me go or not. I smoothly took my hand back to let him know that he didn't have a choice. His eyes pleaded with me, begged me to give him more time.

"I gotta go." I said trying to let him down as nicely as I could by that point. He finally relented and I was able to leave the crowded dance floor. I walked towards the VIP table that Evelyn had bought for the night. While making the walk towards the couch, I looked to my left and saw Warren. It threw me off. He was sitting in VIP, looking like a whole entire ten course meal, with who I recognized to be his frat brothers. Our eyes locked. I couldn't read his face to see how he felt about seeing me, so I looked away and continued my walk to my department's table.