_6_

Friday, Jisung thought. It's Friday

   After this coming Saturday and Sunday, school starts back up. Fall break is coming to an end. Jisung threw his basketball in the air, making it into the hoop. This was about the time Akina took walks down his road, so Jisung headed outside, waiting for her to pass.

   Just as expected, she was there, making her way to the bridge at the creek.

   "Akina!" Jisung called.

   Akina almost didn't look up. It was just a small glance and a painted, watery smile on her face. Most people see this smile of hers as a normal one, but Jisung could see its hidden words. Her forced smile. Whenever she gave one away, her eyes told a different story, but what was making her give him one now?

   Jisung dropped his basketball and sprinted down the driveway. Akina waited for him, looking off into the distance, tapping her legs to the beat of whatever she was listening to.

   "Can I ask you something?" Jisung asked so softly.

   Akina tilted her head, waiting.

   "Why do you always smile like you're gonna cry?"

   Akina blinked. "What are you talking about, Jisung?"

   "Are you okay?"

   "Yeah I'm fine, why? What's up with you?" Akina narrowed her eyes, studying Jisung.

   "You don't look fine." Jisung focused his eyes on the dark circles under her eyes, like she hasn't been sleeping. Her eyes seemed to have the faintest hint of red, and that watery smile. It all gave it away.

   Akina's face hardened. "If I don't look fine, then don't look."

   Jisung felt stung by the words, but he didn't look away. "I just want to know what's wrong." His voice came out so small; almost inaudible. Akina raised her eyebrows, seeming like she regretted sounding so harsh.

   "Sorry, Jisung," she apologized. "I just want to be alone today. We'll talk some other time, alright?"

   Jisung's eyebrows knitted together and Akina walked off.

   It was later in the day when Jisung's phone went off. Haechan's picture showed up on the screen. Jisung answered, closing the fridge he was just looking through.

  "Haechan?"

   "Hey, Ji. What are you doing today?"

   "I wasn't planning on anything."

   "Would you mind if I came over for the night? I kind of want to talk."

   Taeyong wasn't home that day. He was out with a couple friends. Their dad was busy with paperwork that had to do with his job, and it was still day, so their mom was sleeping because of her night job. There was no reason Haechan couldn't come.

   Jisung was sitting up on his bed, while Haechan was lying down on the floor. He ran his hand through his hair, closing his eyes.

   "Hey, Ji, are you friends with Akina?" Haechan asked out of the blue.

   "I guess." Jisung shrugged. "The other day, she said 'let's be friends' so I would say we are."

   "So you guys hang out a lot?"

   "I mean, we've only hung out three times."

   Haechan nodded. A short laugh left him. "Gosh, I can't stop." A bright smile shined on his face. "This isn't like me. I think I've been cursed... No, blessed."

   Jisung laughed. "What are you going on about?"

   "Ah, Jisung! I'm going crazy."

   They both laughed. "Hyung," Jisung began. "Explain."

   "She's like a song stuck in my head, Ji. It's constantly playing and I won't be satisfied until I get to experience it again."

   Jisung paused. "Akina?"

   Haechan's answer was a wider smile.

   "You like Akina," Jisung said. He still didn't know how to feel about this. Jisung wanted to support his friend. He really did want to.

   Haechan sat up. "She's just so different. Her outlook on life is just brilliant. She texted me that night I gave her my number. We stayed up for hours, going off on the most ridiculous tangents." A puff of laughter left Haechan as he looked out the window. "Aish, I'm acting so strange."

   "You like Akina," Jisung repeated, quieter.

   "I guess you could say that."

   "You told me even though I'm friends with her."

   Haechan chuckled. "Ji, I trust you. You're my friend, I know you won't tell anyone."

   Jisung smiled, getting a warm feeling knowing that someone had their trust in him. "If you go to the festival tomorrow, maybe you'll see her there."

   "Yeah." Haechan tried to hid his smile. "Maybe I will."