_16_

Akina shuffled towards the front door after hearing an urgent knock. She didn't bother peeking through the windows at that moment and just opened the door. Her heart thumped at the sight of Jisung outside. There was a tint of pink lining his nose from the cold, but his expression was so warm from the smile on his face.

   "Grab a marker," he declared.

   "Wh-"

   "I brought something." Jisung tugged on the string he held to show off the white balloon that was attached.

   Akina slipped on a jacket and brought a marker like how Jisung had ordered. They walked back down to the bridge together.

   "Write what you wanted to tell your grandfather before he passed on the balloon." Jisung nodded towards Akina to prompt her on.

   She wanted to question what he was doing, but went along with it anyways.

   There's an empty void in my chest knowing that you're gone, but it's no doubt that you're no longer in pain. It's true that you're in a better place. I know this goodbye is only temporary, for I will greet you again when my time comes. It's important for anyone to realize this. I know you loved to paint, and a special request I have for you is that I hope you paint the sky for me someday.

   Akina slowly capped the marker and slid it into her pocket.

   "Now, let it go," Jisung told her.

   Akina reread her message once more, before letting the string drag away, passed her fingertips. It continued towards the sky, going higher and higher. The setting sun created an array of colors. It was such a unique way to portray the sky, but also very familiar to Akina. She smiled, despite the teary glaze covering her eyes. They scanned the clouds.

   Akina felt Jisung's hand wrap around her own and he gave it a small squeeze.

   "Look at the sky, JiJi," she whispered. "Those were my grandfather's favorite colors."

   "He painted the sky tonight, and he painted it for you."

~   ~   ~

   Akina finally decided to go back to school the next day. She felt a little better, all thanks to Jisung. However, her day turned into a miserable one. She wasn't ready to go back to school after the death of her grandfather. She continued to play memories of him in her mind as teachers taught lessons.

   Even during lunch, she was so distracted. As Akina shuffled up to take her tray to the trash, she kept her eyes low. Akina's tray crashed with another, sending them falling to the floor, and all over their clothes.

   Soomi grunted with frustration, staring at her stained outfit. "Are you serious?" Her burning stare met Akina's scared one. "Of course, it was you!"

   Akina bent down to start picking up the trays, but Soomi yanked her back up from Akina's wrist, hurting the place where her scars are hidden. Akina's eyes gave away that she could break any minute.

   "Look at that," Soomi mumbled with a devilish grin. "Akina, all puffy eyed. Is she gonna cry?" Soomi gave a fake pout before letting out a cackle.

   "Just let it go," a girl whispered to Soomi.

   Soomi leaned forward with fire in her expression. "Oh darling," she whispered to Akina. "You're so very broken, and no one even seems to care."

   "See, that's where you're wrong," Akina retorted, throwing Soomi's hand away.

   "Wrong? You mean..." She gave a cold, fake gasp. "Someone actually cares about Akina? The poor, helpless mess of a girl." Soomi's voice began to rise, and the whole cafeteria had a silence filled with tension. "I can see the life has left your eyes, even if you aren't even dead. What a sorry excuse for a life."

   Soomi reached back to her friend's tray, retrieving a carton of milk. She took a small sip, before dumping the rest onto Akina's head. After dropping the empty carton, Soomi stormed out of the cafeteria.

   The bell rang and everyone filtered out of the room, leaving Akina to stand there, completely frozen. A single tear streaked down her face.

~   ~   ~

   "Soomi!" Jisung called to the girl from halfway down the half. Soomi turned to Jisung with a fake smile on her face.

   She skipped her way towards Jisung. "Hi, Jisung!"

   Jisung's stomach twisted with rage as he remembered what rumors he had just heard. "What did you do to Akina?" His words pushed through clenched teeth and Jisung fought back every urge to return her threats.

   Soomi let out a bitter chuckle. "You should've seen that hopeless girl's face!" Her laugh died down as Jisung gave her a hard stare. "Why do you seem upset?" She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Loosen up." A mischievous smile hinted on her lips.

   Jisung pushed her hand away. "You better stay away from Akina."

   "Are you afraid I'll get tainted?" Soomi jokes, but it only enraged Jisung even more.

   "I hate how you said that."

   Soomi's expression fell. "Don't tell me you actually care about the broken girl."

   "She has a name." Jisung took a couple steps back. "And yes, I do care about her... with all my heart."