Chapter 35

When Sam and I hung up about 15 minutes later, I went to the bottom of the stairs and heard Ethan and Mom still talking.
"She's been through a lot which is why I'm glad your finally together... but she shouldn't have done that to herself." Mom said. I stayed where I was to listen in.
"Yeah, I agree. Honestly though, I wish I could have know what she went through before I told her."
"It probably would have been helpful, yes, but Hope's... What's the word?"
"Conserved? Blocked off? Secretive?"
"Yes, yes, all of the above." Mom said laughing slightly.
"But at the same time, amazing, and kind, and... perfect. I don't know what I would do without her." He sighed and I heard a bark from outside followed by a yip that sounded hurtful.
"What was that?" I heard mom ask standing up from her chair. Ethan followed and he jumped when he saw me and let out a small gasp.
"Hope. How long-"
"Shh," I shush him and start walking towards the back door with them following me. "Mom did you leave Princess outside?"
"Yes. When I got home she was winning so I let her out. Then I heard you and-"
"You can't leave her outside by herself. She could get hurt." I interrupted her. I open the door and see her sitting on the porch with her paw held up. "Aww. My poor Princess. What happend? Mom can you get a towel?" Princess was soaking wet from rain and her paw looked like it was broken when I bent down to pick her up.
"Should we take her to the vet?" Ethan asked.
"I was already planing on taking her with me tomorrow. I know how to keep it from getting more hurt until then."
"Why are you going to the vet?"
"To apply for a job. My friend works there and she told me about an opening."
"Why a job at a vet?"
"Because I'm going to be a vet."
"You are?"
"Yes. Please don't tell me you have a problem with that." I sigh and mom comes back with a towel that I wrap Princess in and gently feel her hurt paw.
"Why would I have a problem with that?" He asked still on our conversation.
"I don't know. You just sounded surprised I guess."
"Yeah, because I didn't know."
"Sorry. I was just checking..."
The doorbell rang and mom went to go get the pizza. Ethan bent down beside me and put his arm around my shoulders and kissed my cheek.
"I love you, babe. I know you're going to be an amazing vet." He said.
"Thank you. And you are going to be an amazing cop. I love you too."
"So, your ok with me being a cop?"
"Yeah. You'll help a lot of people."
"I can't loose you, babe. Are you sure your ok with it?"
"Yes. And you never will. Your stuck with me."
"I wouldn't have it any other way." He said smiling. Mom called us and I took Princess to the couch and set her up so her paw wouldn't be hurt anymore. Then I went into the kitchen and sat down to eat.
We talked about it a little but we stopped when I just wanted to drop it. After we had finished, I picked Princess back up and took her up to my room to set her up where she wouldn't be hurt.
"Hey, baby?" Ethan asks sitting on my bed and watching me pet Princess as she starts to fall asleep.
"Yeah?"
"I need you to promise me something." I look at him and frown a little.
"Sure, what?"
"Promise you will never cut yourself again."
"Uh... I'll try, but I don't know if I can completely promise that." He stood up and came over to me, helping me to my feet.
"Then I'll make you a deal..." He held my cut arm gently and raised it up to meet his lips. I give him a questioning look and he starts running his thumb along the cut. "If you have to desire to cut yourself, I want you to call me and cut me instead."
"What? No! I'm not going to do that!" I exclaim pulling my arm away from him.
"Yes, you are. If you can't promise that you won't do it again, you can promise to do it to me instead."
"No. I'm not going to see you hurt. Expecially at my hand."
"Then why is it ok for you to do it to yourself?"
I sigh and look away from him, crossing my arms. "I don't know. I just don't want to see you hurt."
"Babe," He smiled and put his hands on my shoulders. "We feel the same about a lot of things. That feeling that you get when you think of me hurting myself? I get the same for you. Your everything to me. If I lost you, I would just die. I need you. All because I love you."
"So that... awful feeling I get, you get it too?"
"Yeah, I do." I bring my eyes back to meet his.
"I'm sorry."
"For what? You did nothing wrong."
"Yes I did. I'v been selfish and blocked off. And all you've ever done is try and be here for me. I'm the worst girlfriend ever."
"Don't ever say that again. You're an amazing girlfriend, I don't care that you have so many walls, I like to be the one to break them down. Yes, I do try and be here for you but you do the same for me. You're not selfish, you're just going through some stuff right now." I sigh and lean foward into him. I kept my arms crossed and he wrapped his arms around me.
"I won't cut myself. I'll call you and we can talk. There's no way I would hurt you."
"That's all I ask." He whispered.
I started falling asleep while leaning against him, which he noticed.
"You need to sleep." He said kissing my forehead. He picked me up bridal style and carried me to the bed. He set me down and then crawled in next to me.
The second my face hit the pillow I was out cold. He pulled me closer so my back was up against his chest since I was facing the other way.
"Good night, my love."