-4-

Lyra stared across the table at Peter - he hadn't changed a bit. He smirked, pursing his lips with raised brows, shifting his eyes away from Lyra's.

It was awkward.

"So how've you been?" Lyra spoke up, tapping the rim of her coffee cup. Caffeine was the only thing keeping her going these days.

"Well, I've been... okay, I guess."

Lyra nodded, taking a sip of coffee. Her limbs were unsteady, jittery from all the coffee, or perhaps nerves. She swallowed, setting the cup on the table before reaching across; her hand resting on Peter's.

She placed her hand on his, looking at him apologetically. "I know what you did. You- you turned on the wrong moon to save me."

Peter forced a smile, slowly pulling his hand out from beneath Lyra's. "It was nothing."

"Thank you. I know you didn't do for me, but... it still means a lot."

"Does Roman know?" Peter spoke monotoned, wondering if Roman knew that the girl he had been obsessed with was a living, breathing person again.

"I'm living with him." Lyra admitted, looking down at the table remorseful. She loved Roman more than she loved herself; it was beginning to take a toll on her.

"So he, ah... he knows then- that I'm in town." Peter nodded, nearly cringing at the revelation.

"Yeah."

"So how are you alive? You never elaborated on that." Peter diverted the conversation, knowing that Roman was still pissed that he had fled after Lyra's death.

"Pryce brought me back."

Peter's brows furrowed skeptically. "But you said he planned to make it look like an accident-"

"Yeah- as it turns out, Roman and I are a lot alike when it comes to how we... evolve. Roman had to take his own life; I on the other hand- my life had to be taken." Lyra shrugged, wishing sometimes that she had stayed trapped in the dark oblivion known as death. It would've been easier.

"So you can still do that shit with your head?... Read other people's minds?" Peter smirked with narrowed eyes.

"Not exactly. I still don't know much about what I am, or what I'm capable of. But being with Roman..." Lyra trailed, wanting to explain everything to Peter, but unable to find the words. "The way I get what I need is... it's tearing us apart."

"You mean fucking other people?" Peter blurted. He snickered with a half smile. "Monogamy isn't for everyone. I know about Incubi and succubi- their ways." Peter quoted the air, exaggerating the word "ways." Lyra didn't like the smug expression in his eyes; the way he was mocking her for something she couldn't help.

"I don't... I don't fuck other people. But it's causing me to lose all my senses. I can't see what Roman is thinking anymore. Or anyone, for that matter." Lyra admitted, shifting her eyes to the table.

"So you guys still can't get enough of each other, huh? Man, your dad really fucked you guys up." Peter chortled, reaching into his pocket, pulling out a pack of cigarettes. Lyra knew she didn't have much time now; Peter was itching to leave.

"You know about the recent murders?" Lyra pressed, hoping it would stop Peter from trying to leave. He sighed, setting his cigarettes on the table before rubbing his face in irritability.

"Yeah... I come back and shit starts happening again. Just my luck."

"I need you to help me stop it."

Peter sighed again, this time with a grunt. "Shit, there it is... knew it was coming."

"Shelley's gone, did you know that?" Lyra asked, looking to see Peter's eyes waver.

"Where is she?"

"I don't know. But we need to find her... or stop it before something bad happens to her."

"Look- I can't help you. I'm only gonna be here for a few more weeks, then I'm getting the fuck outta this place." Peter stood, snatching his cigarettes. "It was good to see you again, I'm glad you're alive, but- I got enough on my plate right now."

Peter started toward the door. Lyra grabbed a hold of his wrist, pulling him back toward the table. "I'll pay Lynda's bail. You can quit working at that dump... it's a win-win." Lyra bargained.

"How did you know about that..." Peter trailed, trying to figure out how Lyra had known about his mother's recent arrest.

"How do you think I found you?" Lyra stood, letting go of Peter's hand.

He sighed, weighing the pros and cons. Lyra handed Peter the piece of paper with "Templar's Towing and Repair's" address scribbled on the front. On the other side, was Roman's address - along with her cell phone number.

"Roman fucking hates me." Peter spoke quietly, looking down at Lyra with a slight frown.

"He'll come around. Roman's always trying to blame someone for his problems... you know that." Lyra squeezed Peter's shoulder encouragingly, hoping that their small talk was convincing enough. She patted his back, walking around him as she made her way out of the diner.