-13-

Lyra stood in the bedroom, tapping the end of the remote to her chin as she watched the news. The full moon was approaching; the media was warning people of Hemlock Grove to stay inside and to keep their houses locked and secure.

Roman adjusted his watch, stepping out of the walk-in closet to see Lyra moving anxiously—appearing that she needed to elevate her bladder. His eyes shifted to the television, seeing a news reporter standing in the woods where the previous body had been found.

"You should turn that shit off." Roman said, his voice low and husky.

"Why- does it bother you?"

"No. It bothers you." Roman walked over to Lyra, snatching the remote from her hand to press the button, making the television go black. He tossed the remote onto the bed, sleeking his hair back with puckered lips.

Lyra had been wrapped up in the news; Roman's activities had gone unnoticed. She saw that he was dressed more precise than usual.

"Where are you going?"

"Out." Roman said, picking invisible lint off his sweater.

"So vague. Should I be worried?" Lyra winked, joining Roman in his quest at picking unwanted lint from his fabric.

"I'm going out with Peter."

"Hm... where?"

"The bar." Roman said flatly; never looking into Lyra's eyes.

"And I'm not invited?" Lyra joked, furrowing her brows in disbelief.

"It's a bar, not much for pregnant women to do there."

"I see." Lyra stroked the side of his face longingly, wishing she could read his mind. He was an emotional wreck; feelings of guilt and fright inhabiting his chest and gut. "Be careful." Lyra whispered, gently pulling his head down to kiss his lips.

"Always." Roman returned the kiss, placing one on the top of her head.

Roman started out the bedroom; Lyra reaching for the remote. He turned, causing her to stop. She didn't want him knowing she was going to be watching the news the moment he left.

"Keep the doors locked. Don't let anyone in, you understand?" Roman demanded. Lyra's face twisted in confusion before giving him a nod. "I mean it, Lyra... don't open the door for anyone, not even me."

"Okay." Lyra obliged.

Roman pushed off the doorframe, giving the panel a soft knock with his knuckles before turning out of sight.

When she heard the front door close, Lyra turned the television on again—ignoring Roman's pleas to lock the door.