-11-

Lyra stared through the windshield from the passengers seat. Although the sonogram weighed only a gram, it felt like the weight of the world resting in her pocket. It was enough not to take notice in Roman's wandering eye; his gaze shifting away from the road to Lyra every opportunity he had.

"You gonna tell me what happened? What he did to you?" Roman asked. His jaw clenched; his hands gripping the wheel making his knuckles becoming paler than that of his flesh.

"I told you, I just fainted-"

"Don't fucking lie to me. I saw you... you didn't just faint."

Lyra turned, looking to see Roman moving his lips together, keeping his eyes on the road. She could almost swear that she felt his emotions; he was scared. There was an uneasiness settling in his chest—one that wanted answers, but was too timid to press.

Lyra couldn't take her eyes off of Roman; in that moment, he was the most beautiful person she had ever seen. It suddenly felt like a hot ball inhabiting her womb. She was beginning to come to the realization that there was something growing within her body; the life of a small person.

Lyra placed her hand on Roman's leg, trying to comfort his worry. Roman's narrowed eyes looked down at her hand, then shifted to her gaze quickly before looking ahead at the road. "I'm fine, Roman. You worry too much." Lyra patted his thigh, removing her hand from his lap as she sat back in the seat.

Lyra sat up when noticing Peter's tow truck setting in the driveway. "Peter's here." Lyra looked over at Roman to see him nodding. "Why's Peter here?"

"Because I called him." Roman spoke flatly, turning the car off. He pulled the key out of the ignition with a quiet sigh. "I thought I was gonna lose you again."

"Roman-"

"Lyra, I can't lose you again." Roman said. His large eyes looked into Lyra's; his tone stern and hasty.

Lyra placed her hand on the side of his face, "You're not gonna lose me. I'll always be with you." She said, feeling warm butterflies envelope her stomach.

They stepped out of the vehicle; Peter already marching toward Roman. When he saw Lyra, Peter made a beeline for her, dismissing Roman altogether.

"She lives!" Peter raised his arms dramatically, making prayer hands before pulling Lyra into a hug. "Roman talked like you had one foot in the grave." Peter sighed pulling back; still holding Lyra's arms. "I thought I was gonna have to skip town again." Peter smiled wide, shifting his eyes to see Roman hadn't found it funny. "Sorry." Peter's lips turned into a frown, releasing his grasp on Lyra's shoulders.

"I'm fine." Lyra beamed, looking back at Roman to see that he was still worried.

"You look good. What did Pryce do to you, something Roman couldn't?" Peter smiled again, looking to Roman once more, seeing that joke had been just as terrible as the last. "Sorry." He repeated.

They made it into the house; Roman's gaze still on Lyra's back. She turned, facing him.

The look in her eyes caused Roman's to widen in response. He was suddenly paranoid that she could read his mind again—he had no idea what Johann had done to her.

"I'm gonna go lie down, maybe take a bath. You two... please don't kill each other." Lyra pointed at Roman and Peter as she made her way up the stairs.

Once she was out of sight, Roman's stiffened stance relaxed.

"She looks good." Peter stated.

"Yeah, too good. She won't tell me what happened- what Pryce did to her."