-6-

Lyra awoke groggy. She took a shower, slipping into a plush robe before making her way downstairs.

It was night; she could see the porch light shining through the translucent front wall of the house.

Her eyes were lazily open as she trailed to the landing, turning toward the open living room, shaking the excess water from her hair with her fingers.

Lyra stopped dead in her tracks; her heavy eyes quickly opened wide.

Peter sat on the edge of the low leather sectional, his elbows resting on his knees. His lips were set in a hard line, looking to Lyra with raised brows.

Lyra's eyes shifted to see Roman standing in the center of the room. His arms were folded, his face stern. Roman's usually plump bottom lip was hidden under his top one as he stared across the room at Lyra lividly.

"Peter... I'm glad you came." Lyra smiled wide, making her way over to the couch. Her presence caused Peter to stiffen. Had Lyra been able to feel what others felt, she would've known that Peter's apprehension was based solely on Roman's existence.

"Yeah, well... it beats Lynda serving three months in a correctional facility. Destiny made me see that." Peter mumbled the last bit, causing Roman's eyes to waver between the two.

"What are you talking about?" Roman shifted his weight to one foot, looking down at Peter.

"My mom... she's in jail-"

"What the fuck does that have to do with anything?" Roman pressed, looking over at Lyra dubiously.

"I offered to bail her out, if he helped us-"

"I never gave you permission to do that." Roman cut Lyra off, unfolding his arms as he pointed his finger at her.

"Roman..." Lyra started toward him, only to have him throw his arms up in defeat.

Roman trailed out of the room; his footsteps loud. The front door slammed, causing Lyra to jerk at the booming sound.

"Well you were right, Roman came around... to the fact that he hates my guts." Peter stood from the sofa, placing his hands on his hips as he sighed in vanquish.

"Just- just give us a minute." Lyra held up one finger, gesturing for Peter not to leave as she ran out of the house after Roman.

Lyra stepped outside, seeing Roman leaning against the glass on the other side of the porch. Smoke billowed above his head; a cigarette hung loosely between his fingers. His left hand was tucked behind his back; his gaze analyzing Lyra in disgust.

"You told him to come here? Told him where I lived!" Roman pointed toward the house, his cigarette still between his fingers.

"Where we live, yes."

Roman shook his head, taking a draw. His cheeks hollowed from the  harsh inhale, tapping the ashes off his cigarette. His bright green eyes stared up at the porch light, the contrast of the silhouettes making the fog of his breath visible against the night sky.

"I don't wanna be involved in this. I want nothing to do with him." Roman spoke low.

"Roman, this was part of our agreement. You said that we would find Peter-"

"I said a lot of shit I didn't mean." Roman flicked his cigarette, storming past Lyra, making his way back into the house.

Lyra closed her eyes at the harshness of his tone - she didn't have to read his mind to know what he had meant. Roman had just admitted that he didn't love her anymore, that it had all been a lie.

Upset, Lyra barged into the house. Roman stood a few steps above the landing; his hand on the rail as he stared down at Lyra.

She thought about yelling; but before her lips could form a word, Roman spoke up. "Give him the money so he'll leave." Roman said quietly.

"I want you to repeat what you just said to me." Lyra's trembling voice began to crack. She stared up into his eyes, silently begging for him to take it back.

"I want you to give him the money-"

"No, before that. About saying a lot of shit you don't mean." Lyra bit her lip, trying not to let Roman see her quivering chin.

"Don't fucking turn this around, you brought a dog into my house."

"Your house... I see. You know Roman, if you want me to leave, just say it."

"You're fucking crazy." Roman turned, continuing on up the stairs. Lyra shook her head, feeling nauseous from the adrenaline pumping through her veins.

She made her way back to the living room, seeing that Peter had taken a seat on the sofa. He looked upset - sad even.

"I really shouldn't have come here. But I told Destiny about your offer and-"

"No, I'm glad you did." She sighed, trying to collect herself. "How much money do you need?"

"Twenty-five grand." Peter cringed at the price; his face twisting in discomfort.

"Done. Thirty for your trouble." Lyra said; her eyes shifting to the staircase to see that Roman was out of sight. She was sure he could hear her; probably listening from the bedroom.

Peter closed the space between them, stepping close to Lyra but being sure not to touch her. "I really appreciate this. But I don't know if I can be much help." Peter admitted.

"Any help is better than none. I won't be able to do this on my own." Lyra swallowed, wishing that Roman was as determined to stop whatever monster was out there as he had been once before.

"Roman doesn't deserve you. And as far as I'm concerned, he doesn't deserve to find his sister, either. She's better off without him... we all are." Peter's eyes wavered to the staircase, knowing that if Roman had heard, it would've gotten a rise out of him.

For the first time in Lyra's life, she felt she was a prisoner of Roman's love. She was trapped; unable to breakaway from the toxicity of their relationship. He was beginning to gaslight - manipulating situations to his advantage; making Lyra feel crazy, questioning her own sanity. When would enough be enough; Lyra was incapable of drawing the line.

She couldn't stop loving him, no matter his flaws. Even if her worst fear was coming true, that Roman did not love her anymore, all she could think to do was to find a way to make him love her again. That was how much she depended on Roman's reciprocation; how much she needed him to love her in return. It was obsessive.