Chapter 4: Family Reunion? Not so much...

What Happened Before:

Groaning, I pause the movie and slide down the stair rails, landing lightly on both feet. I fling the door open and I'm about to complain when someone suddenly wraps their arms around me.

"Mom?"

Alexis's POV

"Honey, I've missed you so much," she cooes, not letting go of me.

I push her back and bitterly reply, "That makes one of us."

I triy to slam the door close but she quickly holds her arm out and blocks it. "Lexi, I'm your mom. I love you so much, please, can we talk?"

"No."

I turn my back on her and stalk to the living room. Grabbing my phone and earbuds, I plug them in and turned the music's volume as high as my eardrums could take.

Mom gently pulls them out by the wire and I glare at her, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Honey - "

"My name is Alexis."

"Alexis, please. Let me explain."

"Explain what? Oh, hi, Alexis. I'm your mom and I miss you so much. I haven't seen you since you were 3 and that's almost 15 years ago, but it's okay, I'll just explain everything," I retort, sarcasm dripping off my voice.

"Alexis, you don't know my side of the story, I - "

"I don't need to, or want to," I interrupt.

"Please, just hear me out. If you still don't want to talk to me afterwards, then I'll never bother you again," Mom suggests.

I glance at the clock that's hanging up on the wall behind me. I nod and mumble, "You have 2 minutes."

"The second you were born, I knew you'd grow up to be a smart and beautiful young lady and I swore that I would spend every single second of that journey with you," she starts to say. "But when you were 3 years old, I was diagnosed with lung cancer. I started smoking before you were born and only quit during my pregnancy with you."

I nod.

Mom takes a deep breath and continues, "I didn't tell your dad because I knew it would break his heart and he was under so much pressure with personal family matters and he'd just been elected as the president of his company."

"Leaving him, leaving us, broke his heart, Mom," I tell her, remembering all the pain and countless nights Dad spent crying in my arms.

She hangs her head in shame and mumbles, "I know, I know. But I was so scared. Terrified that I would lose my battle to cancer, so I thought it would be better if I left you a-and p-passed on, without you knowing."

"How did you.. survive?" I hesitantly ask her.

"My cousin from Australia is close friends with a specialist. I flew over to get chemotherapy. I'd gotten rid of the cancer in the space of two years," she answers, avoiding my gaze.

"Why didn't you come back, then?" I demand.

I know it was well over two minutes now, but I don't care.

"Because your dad was already seeing someone. I didn't want to ruin his happiness, I was glad that he'd moved on but heartbroken at the same time," Mom quietly admits.

"But they broke up, Mom! You had 15 whole years to be a mom to me! To be a wife! We needed you!" I exclaim throwing my hands up.

"Honey - "

"Alexis," I grit through my teeth.

"Alexis, in those 15 years, your dad was happy without me. He moved on, there was no point in me coming back. I'm only here now for your upcoming graduation and your 18th birthday next month. I miss and love you so much, Lexi."

She's the only person who calls me 'Lexi'. I never let anyone else call me that because it reminds me of her.

"Don't call me Lexi."

"Okay, Alexis. But, please, forgive me. Give me a chance. Or, at least, act civil towards me? Please, I miss you," she desperately pleads.

"Mom, does Dad know that you're talking to me right now?" I ask, gripping my phone, ready to call him.

She shakes her head.

That's it.

I walk to the front door and hold it open, not looking at her. She makes a quick exit and repeats, "I miss and love you so much, Alexis. I'll wait for however long it takes you to talk to me with no anger or bitterness in your heart."

I keep quiet, my eyes staring at the ground.

As soon as I close the door, I call Dad. He picks up after two rings.

I explain to him about Mom coming back and answer all his grilling questions. By the sound of his voice, I know he still loves Mom and had forgiven her years ago.

But I don't think I'm ready to do the same just yet.