Chapter 2: Expect the Unexpected

A/N: Above is a picture of Alex Dunphy (yes, the one from 'Modern Family') as Alexis McKnight.

Alexis's POV

Note to self: never make bets ever again with Nico Clark (unless you want to lose your pride and money).

If anyone's wondering, no one paid the other 50 bucks. We'd decided on a tie. But I'm not sure if he's kidding or not about "taking me hostage". So, to be safe, I've been following Xandra like a lost puppy.

"Alexa, can you quit stalking me??"

"I have to."

"And why's that?" she asked.

"Because you're Xandra, the punk goth girl no one messes with. Rumour has it that you've been to juvi before 'coz you helped a robber downtown," I murmur, in a lower voice than before.

"I did, but that's not any of your or anyone else's business," she snaps, dismissing the subject.

I shrug my shoulders and elaborate. "You don't understand, I'm just Alexis McKnight. I don't even know what people know me as, but I sure as hell know what people know what they think of you. And I'm telling you now: they're f***ing terrified of you, and that's a good thing for people like me. Nico said he was going to take me hostage and I'm not taking any chances." I take a deep breath after rambling so many words, all in one breath.

She scoffs, her nose ring bouncing. "Nico's like a kitten! I bet he wouldn't even hurt a stupid fly. I don't even know why you guys are best friends."

Because I like him, I think in my head.

"Me neither, but we are," I reply, letting a bark of fake laughter out. "And he seemed pretty serious about it, he didn't blink at all when we had a staring contest, ' coz I challenged him. I stupidly said that he if won, it means he's being serious but if he blinks even just one time, then he's just joking."

She gives me an amused expression, a small smile tugging on her lips.

"He lost our bet, well, technically, it was a tie, but still. He didn't get 50 bucks, so he's probably gonna do it."

Xandra quickens her pace and I struggle to keep up with her long, fast strides as she heads for the lockers. She opens the door to hers, which is decorated with rock band merchandise stickers and magnets that give off bada** vibes, and stuffs her books inside.

Then, turning back around, she puts her hands on her hips and tells me, "Then find another bodyguard. I have more important things to do than take care of you, Alexis."

I sigh and decide to just walk away before it escalates and turns into a bigger issue. Staring at the ground I'd only walked a couple of metres when I suddenly collide into someone's rock hard chest.

"Sorry," I mumble, still not looking up and side- stepping to avoid the person.

"Hold up."

My eyes shoot straight up.

"Nico, hey," I greet nervously.

"Hey to you too," he answered. "Have you been ignoring me?"

"No," I lied.

"How come you didn't sit at our usual table at lunch, then?"

** RINGGGG! **

"Oh, that's the bell. Sorry, I gotta go, see ya!"

I start running away from him, for once grateful for the stampede of high school kids itching to get home.

*****

As soon as I close the front door of my modern two storey house, I kick off my black converses, and change into a more comfortable outfit, as I attempt to tie my hair up in a messy bun ( it really didn't work, but oh well). Humming to tthe tune of Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You, I skip to the kitchen to do my daily scavenging and search through the large silver fridge.

Jackpot!

I grab the large box of Krispy Kreme donuts and taking a massive bite out of a chocolate glazed one, I climb the stairs to the living room.

Netflix is life.

What to watch, what to watch...

Eventually, I decide to watch the movie, "Captain America: Civil War." I'd just gotten to the part where Captain America and Iron Man (my personal favourite; he's hilarious and so sarcastic, what else could a teenager want in a guy/superhero) are fighting each other, one on one, when suddenly the noise of the door bell rings through the house.

Interference, I groan in my head. So rude. Inconsiderate. Ugh.

Groaning, I reluctantly pause the movie and slide down the stair rails, landing lightly on both feet. I fling the door open and I'm to complain when someone suddenly wraps their arms around me.

"Mom?"