Chapter 8 - What are they Hiding from me?

Alexis' POV

Something is definitely going on... the guys were distracted earlier. And who's Axel? Why was Damon so worried about it? And why did Kurt stop him from explaining?

This is doing my head in.

I groan as I switch the channel to the news instead of the Drama show I wasn't even paying attention to.

"There has been another raid recently. At exactly 11:30 PM last night, a small gang of teenage boys broke into a casino on the edge of town," the reporter confidently recites.

I quickly reach for the remote again and turn the volume up.

"The police has informed us that the suspects are likely to be from one of the state high schools, as they have planned the raid in detail before hand, making sure their getaway car was exactly 5 blocks down the street. 4 figures were spotted, 1 of them wearing a read beanie. No faces were recognised, since they all made sure that they were covered," the reporter continues.

I wonder why those guys would even bother to raid a casino. All of that money is dirty and probably illegal anyways.

"We do have one witness, an elderly woman has told us that one of them was wearing a red beanie while the rest were wearing all black. She had also told us that one man referred to the one in the red beanie as 'Axel'."

I gulped. It couldn't be him, could it? The same Axel the guys were talking about?

"If anyone notices any suspicious behaviour please immediately report it to the nearest local police station. This is Anna Leighton reporting, back to the studio."

I crane my neck, as a blurred photo of the suspects come up. They definitely look like they'd be in the same grade as me.

It suddenly zoomed into each person separately. First the red beanie. Then one that had a tuft of curly blonde locks  just escaping his black beanie at the front. Another who seemed to be at ease, though I couldn't see any facial features that would pinpoint him. But it was the last one that caught my eye. Those eyes. Mesmerising sky blue eyes.

Kurt?!

I turn the TV off and decide to sleep on it.

I have so many questions swirling around in my mind.

Was that Kurt? But why would he be part of a gang? And who is Axel? Is it same Axel that they were talking about?

What are they hiding from me?

*****

"World War II. A time of destruction, blood, rivals and allies. But what exactly causes war? What are the impacts of war? Who is really affected?" Mr Willard drones on.

I raise my hand and ask him, "When is this due, sir?"

"You have 1 week to write this essay. I expect nothing less than an 80% from you, Ms McKnight," he replies.

I nod my head as I scribble in the due date in my school diary.

"Pssst!"

I ignore them.

"Psssstttt!"

"What?" I ask, my tone harsh as I whip around.

"What the fuck is going on?" Kurt demands.

Our gazes meet and something inside me snaps. Those blue eyes are definitely the ones I saw on the news last night...