Mixed Messages

The next day you woke up early to meet Izuku at the nurse's office. As you walk from the apartment to the school, you see a commotion at the front gate. Even from where you were, you could see the boom mics and TV cameras.

You suppose it was to be expected now that All Might was a teacher here. But it had to e annoying for anyone who had to wade through that chaos. Thank God you lived on campus.

You shift your bag higher onto your shoulder and continue on your way. You stop by the cafeteria and get a large pancake platter to-go, and take it with you to the nurse's office to eat there.

You'd just stuffed a large sopping bite into your mouth when the door opened.

"Hello?" Izuku stepped in and saw you, chipmunk cheeks full of pancake. "Oh, uh... good morning, (First Name)," he glanced at the ground. "I can... I can come back later..." he mumbled, turning to leave.

While he was stuttering, you managed to swallow the bite quickly without choking. "No, no, it's fine," you called him back as you took a swig of water to wash out the syrup taste.

"Class starts soon and I want that arm ready for training this afternoon," you point him to a chair and step over to take off his sling and unbandage his right arm.

"Heh heh...It's weird seeing you in a school uniform, (First Name)," he said, filling the silence as you carefully poke at his arm. "Normally, you're in your hero costume."

"I'm still a student here," you chuckle. "So I only wear my costume when I'm doing hero work."

"But you're - ow! doing hero work nOW!" he winced as you found the remaining fractures.

"True. But most heroes don't have biology class at 8:30." you lean forward and kiss his arm.

He blushed, both from your treatment and because he was thinking of the letter he'd written you. He wanted to ask you about it but was slightly embarrassed. You probably thought it was corny.

"There," you said, leaning back. "The bones are as good as new but the muscles may feel a little stiff."

"Thanks," he sighed in relief, pulling his sleeve down.

"Do you have anything you can squeeze?" you asked, motioning with your hand.

"S-Squeeze?" he stuttered, eyes drifting to your hand as a blush spread across his cheeks again.

"Yeah, like a stress ball. It'll work your muscles and make your arm get used to working without subconsciously flinching."

He averted his eyes to the ground, trying to hide how flustered he was. "Y-yeah. I have one of those muscle training grips."

"That'll work," you pat him on the shoulder. "You're free to go."

He looked back up as you walked over to your desk to finish your breakfast. He slipped his book bag onto his shoulders and turned to go. But right before he opened the door, he managed to work up enough courage to ask a question that had been bouncing around in his head since the entrance exam.

"(F-first Name)?"

"Hmm?" you glanced at him.

He swallowed past the knot in his throat as his face flushed. Closing his eyes, he finally spits it out. "C-can I have your phone number?"

You smile to yourself, watching the cinnamon roll struggle. "Sure. Write down your number and I'll text you."

The smile that spread across his face was priceless. "O-okay." He quickly pulled out his notebook and ripped off a blank corner. After scribbling down his number, he handed it to you. "I'll, uh, talk to you later, then?"

"Look for my text," you affirmed with a smile.

You waved as he dashed out.

**************************************************************

<Izuku's POV>

Once out in the hallway, I let my joy take over as I clenched my fists. 'I got (First Name)'s number!'

Yeah, I know I don't have her number yet, but she said she'd text me. I can't stop smiling as I walk to class. As I reach the door, I feel my pocket vibrate.

Pulling out my phone, I see a text from an unknown number.

    Hey Izuku this is (First Name)
    I hope you have a good day
    PS. I got your letter it was
    really sweet 😊

I could feel my ears turning red. So she did see the letter. But the embarrassment was short lived, because 'I GOT (FIRST NAME)'S NUMBER!!'

"MOVE IT, YOU STUPID NERD!" yelled a familiar voice from behind, snapping me out of my blissful daze.

I jumped and nearly dropped my phone as I scrambled out of the way. "S-sorry Kacchan."

He stepped past me, bumping my shoulder roughly as he did. 'He's...in a bad mood. I hope he's not still angry about yesterday.'

As I move across the room to my seat by the window, Eraserhead started class so I didn't have a chance to think about it too much.

"Today, you'll be making a decision that will determine your future," he mumbled in his usual lazy sounding voice. "You'll be choosing a class rep."

**************************************************************

Thank you for your continued readership. I hope you enjoyed this Deku exclusive chapter. Sorry it took so long to update but I wanted to post this chapter and the next at the same time. Please leave questions, comments, concerns, requests, suggestions, etc. Please! I like feedback! It'll help make the story better. However, be nice to your fellow readers.

Thank you for reading.