Chapter 11: Beginning the Journey

"Aaaaaawn." Kiara sat up in bed to find a bowl of porridge and a slice of toast with butter and jam by her bedside. After tucking heartily into her breakfast, she dressed and combed her hair, walking through the winding passages until she got to the tearoom.

There she sat down, drumming her fingers on the table, waiting for the others to arrive. Cenar strode into the room, carrying a blue . . . dress? He set it down on the table for her to look at. It was long sleeved, and not too long.

Good, she thought, I can't fight when I look like a princess.

"This is a special dress I had made for you, in honor of your 'official' becoming the Air Element Goddess."

Kiara beamed at him. "Thanks, grandfather. I'll try it on." A minute later she was standing in front of him, twirling around in her new dress.

"I think it brings out your eyes." Cenar noted politely.

"Thanks." she said again, smiling.

"Now, you need to know how to use your magic. Get angry and things will happen."

She blinked. "That's it?"

"Yes. Now, you need to go. I've arranged for a portal to transport you not far from your destination. It takes a couple of days to reach Yantell, the place where you will meet the other Goddesses."

"Am I coming?" Scott's voice was heard in the entrance.

"Of course, silly." She took his hand and led him to where her grandfather was standing.

"Actually . . ." Cenar trailed off.

Kiara's eyes widened with disbelief. "What?!" she shrieked, horrified. "What on earth do you mean?! He can come with me!!"

"I'm sorry, granddaughter, but Scott can not come. You don't need any interruptions. In fact, you are not allowed to have any interruptions. Now . . . ah! There the portal is now! Go! The other Element Goddesses are in great need you!"

His words stung the girl. Not only had he prevented Scott to go with her, he was about to send her away, too! Without lessons on controlling her magic, or anything! "How can you do this to me?!" she practically screamed at him, "Why do you have to send me away so quickly?! And . . ." Now her tone softened to barely a whisper. Salty tears stained her pale cheeks. "Can I at least say goodbye?"

Cenar nodded curtly, leaving the two of them together as he walked briskly from the room.

Scott looked deeply into her eyes, savoring what might be their last moment together. "I really, really don't want to leave you . . ." he began.

"Neither do I." Another tear trickled down the bridge of her nose. "This might be the last time I ever see you again." The young man pulled her into a tight hug. "I'm so sorry," the girl continued, her voice quivering, "About this whole Goddess thing. I didn't even want it and now . . ." A sob escaped her throat.

"You don't have to be sorry, Ki," She felt his hand on her hair, rubbing it gently. "It wasn't your fault at all." he paused, and then added, "Please remember me."

"Of course." she sniffled. Then, with a deep breath, she pulled out of his hold, one of her hands still in his. "I'll miss you." Kiara said, trying to sound brave.

"I will, too." Timidly, he let go of her hand, allowing her to walk into the shimmering portal.

As a pearly light enveloped the girl, she smiled. There was a blinding flash; when Scott opened his eyes, she had vanished.