Chapter 24

"Missing?" Michael asked. 

"Well…" I started. "Not missing, I guess. But he's absent from his home."

"Yes, I mean, I don't think he'd stay there all day, Allison…" Michael said slowly. He sounded concerned for my sanity.

"I know, I know! It's just that last night he left my house after he confessed his love for me and I didn't confess it back but I don't know why I didn't! So I came to his house to fix everything and I'm just worried because he seemed pretty upset last night and I don't want something to happen to him." I began rambling.

Michael sighed. "I shouldn't be suggesting this because it's an invasion of privacy but Calum is my best friends so," he began, "just hang out inside I guess. Until he comes home. I bet he'd be happy to see you."

"What if he brings a girl home?" I murmured into the phone, looking back at the empty garage.

"Then kick her in the back of the knee. Fight for your man!" He chuckled. "You know you can call me if you need anything." 

"I know, thank you." I smiled, hanging up the phone.

After locking my car and grabbing my purse, I went inside Calum's house. It had a different feeling when I was here alone. It seemed gloomier than normal. Nonetheless, I still assumed my regular position curled up on the sofa in front of the TV. I flipped through the channels, eventually deciding to watch Food Network when nothing else appealing was on.

Hours passed and all I did was watch television. I checked my phone. It was almost 8 o'clock at night. I didn't want to have to leave before Calum returned but I knew that my mom would be asking questions soon. So it was time to lie to her yet again.

The phone rang and she almost immediately picked up. 

"Hi sweetie, everything okay?" 

"Yeah." I said happily, "Calum and I went over to Michael's house and Maddie is here. I think we're gonna crash here tonight. I'll be home tomorrow afternoon."

"Alright…" she said sheepishly. "Be good." 

"I will, I will. I love you." I sighed as I hung up. Lying to her never felt good and probably never would, but I was only doing what was necessary.

I wrapped the blanket around my body and walked into Calum’s bedroom, swinging the door open and pushing it closed behind me. I debated on whether to sleep in his bed or go back to the sofa and I decided on his bed. I deserved a comfortable night’s sleep after all of this worrying that’s been going on.

I easily fell asleep in Calum’s bed, which was a foreign place to me but I place I was hoping to get to know better. His sheets still had a whiff of his scent on them. It was comforting. I prayed silently to myself that Calum’s arms would be wrapped around my body when I woke.

-

But my dreams didn’t come true. 8:39am. The sun blazed through Calum’s window, into my eyes. I was still alone in Calum’s bed, everything silent. 

I got up from the bed, leaving the blanket there. Everything in the home was exactly how I left it. There was no trace of Calum coming and leaving, so I knew he had been out all night. I trudged into the kitchen and started a pot of coffee. I grabbed my cell phone off of the coffee table in the living room. No missed calls, no texts. I sighed. Maybe Calum would answer now? I dialed his number, putting the phone in the crook between my ear and shoulder as I poured the coffee from the pot to my cup.

“You’ve reached the voicemail of 572-85-“ the answering machine picked up and I ended the call. Where the hell could he be? Sitting at the table, I sipped my coffee, dialing Michael’s number. He probably wasn’t awake but I hoped the call would wake him up.