21. Odors

The rest of the morning went pretty smoothly.

On our way out of or fourth period class we saw that Nathan was waiting next to my locker.

I groaned inwardly.

No matter how much I love my brother he really does have a way with getting into my business at the most inconvenient times.

"You gonna start explaining Bree?" Nate said shortly.

I glances over at Tyler who just shrugged at me.

So much for him being any help in this.

"Explain what Nate?" I asked him as I tried to play dumb.

"Bree, don't play." He said as he stepped in between me and Tyler. "You said you would at least tell me who this guy who follows you around like a lost puppy is."

Tyler and I let out a small chuckle at the same time, oh if Nathan even knew the half of it.

"He's my friend. I met him before school started, he actually lives in one of those houses not too far from ours." I said as nonchalantly as I could manage.

Nate squinted his eyes at me.

He's always been able to tell when I'm not being completely truthful.

"Fine, clearly your not ready to be honest with me." He said as he turned around and started to stomp away from me.

"Nate, wait!" I said as I roughly grabbed his wrist. "Listen I just can't tell you everything yet. I promise that when I can, you will be the first to know, just please be patient, and for the love of god don't say anything to Mom and dad."

"Whatever, just tell me when your ready to act like yourself again." He said cuttingly as he ripped my hand off of his wrist.

I could feel my heart clench for my brother.

As much of a pain as he is, that doesn't mean he deserves what I'm doing to him.

"I have no idea what to do." I said as I buried my face into Tyler's chest. "He's going to hate me when I tell him."

"I don't think he could hate you from something like this, little one. When you do decide to tell him I'm sure he'll understand why you couldn't tell him right away." Tyler whispered into my hair.

I sighed dramatically as I pulled away from him.

"Let's just go to lunch, maybe I can drown my sorrows into a boring cafeteria sandwich." I said sarcastically.

As we walked into the cafeteria I notice that there were still so many eyes on us just like this morning.

The feeling of everyone watching your ever move was something completely unfamiliar to me, and it was quite unnerving.

A few months ago, when I lived in the city, I would have buried my head into my hand trying to shield myself from all of the prying eyes.

I knew though that things like that would have to stay in the past because from the things that Tyler has told me it's a dog eat dog world out here.

So I kept my head up and eyes forward as I marched myself into the food line.

As we waited for our turn I couldn't help but think about what all the other wolves in the school thought about me.

Were they all going to be defensive around me, Tyler, and Nate?

Or would they eventually just accept that we're here and mean no ill intent.