Chapter 3

Mia's pov
"You don't have to do it if you're not ready." Barrett said as we approached Zoey who was staring at the wall where we wrote the names of everyone who had lost their lives.
"LeShaens name should be up there." Zoey said looking at the wall before looking at us with tears in her eyes.
"It just happened so fast. I went to the cafeteria for, like, five minutes. Just, like, five minutes....and he was. I just can't stop thinking that I should have been there. Maybe if I had been with him there was something I could have done, something I could have said."
"There was nothing" I said.
"LaShawn's infection wasn't something we were equipped to handle." Barrett said
"If I'd thought of the antibiotic sooner." Zoey said.
"LeShaen was dying no matter what you did. Be grateful he went fast and didn't suffer that long." Barrett said as we heard a loud clatter and turned around
"Guys! It's me. I got 'em." Grover said holding out antibiotics, I just couldn't handle it, I couldn't handle what I had done. So I ran.
*
"I thought I might find you here" Noodle said walking into the drama costume room, finding me sitting on the couch, crying.
"Baby, talk to me" noodle said sitting beside me and wrapping his arms around me, I pushed him away.
"Don't, I don't deserve it" I said crying harder
"Mia"
"Please I need to alone"
"I'm not going to leave you when you're this upset"
"He was your best friend. He was in so much pain"
"Hey, it's not your fault."
"It's all my fault. If we would have waited longer maybe Grover... I didn't know he'd be back so soon... Maybe..The freaks.. So many... They were going to get through... He wanted too.. But I shouldn't have...he asked... You'll hate me... H-he... To much."
"Mia what'd you do?" Noodle asked.
"I'm so sorry Noodle." I said putting my head in my hands.
"No, you couldn't...Barrett was there"
"We're sorry"
"You killed LeShaen" Noodle said in realisation leaving the room.

Grovers pov
"I wasn't even rushing. LeShaen was dying, and I was taking my time loading up boxes of candy" I said.
"LeShaen needed a hospital. Even if you'd came back an hour earlier, the results would've been the same. The pressing concern is the six people standing in our teachers' lounge." Barrett said
"You mean the survivors I came across. They needed a place to stay." I said
"So you thought you'd bring them here." Barrett said obviously pissed.
"I wasn't gonna leave them in the drugstore."
"We have limited resources, and we don't know them."

Zoey's pov
"So you've been here at the school this whole time? Since the explosion?" One of the newbies asked me.
"Where have you guys been?" I asked.
"I was at the hardware store when it happened. I warned people to stay inside, but people don't think straight sometimes." Felicity said
"Wasn't exactly a situation conducive to a calm reaction." ollie said
"It was like living in your worst nightmare." Sadie said
"My nightmares are better than this." Red said
"You guys have a secure perimeter. Impressive." Zane sais
"Are you a soldier or something?" I asked
"I work security at the plant." He said
"You work for Keller?" Zoey said Zane nodded so I headed to the room where Grover and Barrett were.
"Barrett, they're people. They're just like us; they're people out there trying to survive. Look, why don't you just come meet them?" Grover said.
"Did you know one of them works for Keller?" I asked. Grover look shocked and pissed and we headed back to the room where they were and saw them with guns.
"Now we know why they didn't take your gun. They have their own." Barrett said.
*
"We all think we should keep the guns in one spot." Grover said.
"We'll keep our guns with us, thanks. You never know when you're gonna run into a freak." Zane said as we talked to him by himself. Everyone but Violet and Mia were here.
"Look, this is our house, our rules." Diesel said
"I'm not letting someone who worked at Keller walk around this place armed." Noodle said.
"Look, I check passes at the gate. I had no part in whatever created those monsters." Zane said.
"How about the people Keller sent to kill us? You know anything about them?" Barrett asked.
"What? No. Look, I sat at a kiosk all day. This this is crazy. Look, I bet more than half of you guys had relatives that worked at Keller." Zane said.
"Yeah, both of my parents do." Grover said
"You see." Zane said.
"Grover, listen, if I wanted to kill you, why wouldn't I have just done it at the drugstore?" Zane asked.
"Zane? " Violet asked walking into the room.
"You two know each other?" Grover asked
"Yeah. That's the psycho who made my life hell" Zane said at the same time as Violet said "Yeah. That's the asshole who cheated on me."

Diesels pov
"That belongs in the lobby." I said to Anka and ollie who had moved Natalie's couch.
"I wanted a place to crash." Anka said
"Okay, well, then crash on it, but in the lobby." I said
"I'm not gonna sleep in a lobby."
"No, no, you don't have to, okay? You can go downstairs with your friends and go to sleep in the fallout shelter." I said
"Ollie, I think we've met the playground bully."
"I'm just telling y'all how it is around here."
"Are you a Kent, because if your name isn't on this school, you don't own it." Anka says causing me to leave. If that spoiled bitch thinks she can pull that shit around here she's crazy.

Violets pov
"Hey." Grover said walking into the room I was currently in.
"I'm not talking about this. I'm not going anywhere near my ex." I said
"You don't have to, but he works at Keller, and I need to know if he's dangerous."
"Zane? Only if you're not expecting him to sleep around."
"So I don't have to worry about him?"
"Definitely not."

Barrett's pov.
"This is the men's restroom." I said when Anka walked in
"There was a line in the ladies'."
"Apparently there always is."
"I know you. I read that profile "Forbes" did on you. Or was it "Fortune"? About your app?" She said
"You read "Fortune"?" I asked
"My dad's a venture capitalist."
"There aren't many of those here in the Valley...Wait. You don't mean Chase Bancroft, do you?"
"You know him?"
"Only by reputation."
"You're really young to be so successful. It must suck to be stuck in high school."
"My mother thought the social interaction would be good for me."
"I can't believe someone as smart as you hasn't figured a way out of here yet."
"I almost did. I radioed for help, but it had unfortunate consequences."
"More unfortunate than cannibal freaks?"
"Keller Chemicals sent people to kill us."
"We haven't seen anything like that."
"Don't worry. We've taken care of them for the time being."
"So you're saying it's safe?"
"Mm-hmm."
"I wonder if your friends know how lucky they are to have you here, Barrett." Anka said walking out of the room.