Chapter 14

Mia's POV
"Look, hey. It looks like a soldier." Noodle said pointing to one of the guys that just exited a tent at the Pass.
"The government's here?" I asked.
"That's not a Keller." Barrett said shocked.
"We can't just sit here all night." Grover said
"If we've learned anything, it's not to dive in without being pretty damn sure it's a good idea." Barrett said, me nodding in agreement.
"What if my parents are in there? Huh? What if yours' are?" Grover said
"Look. No one's guarding the service entrance." Noodle said.
"Let's go then." Grover said running off.
"Grover" I whispered the rest of us rushing after him.
"Don't take off like that" I whispered punching Grovers shoulder lightly as we got inside. He pointed to the yellow coats that the scientists were wearing gesturing for us to put them on. Everyone grabbed one and I looked at them like they were idiots.
"We need to be cautious." Barrett said
"You think they're not going to notice some random pregnant girl wearing a coat?" I whispered as Barrett handed me a coat.
"Maybe they'll just think you're fat" grover said
"She's not fat" noodle whispered harshly at the same time as Barrett fiercely whispered
"Asshole"
"Its fine" I said to both the protective boys before putting the cost on.
"Sorry" grover whispers realising he could have put that more delicately.
"Just move" Noodle grumbled directing us to the next part of the tent. We kept our heads low as we pass scientists and normal people making sure no one would notice we weren't doctors or scientists. We made it to a secluded part of a tent were the news was playing.
"Keller's stock dropped more than 40% since the incident. Federal authorities are categorizing the exposure that left an estimated 20,000 people dead as an act of terrorism. The search for survivors has been complicated by toxic fumes still circulating. The CDC has quarantined the Valley and believes it may be uninhabitable for decades." The news reporter said
"Decades? That means we'll never be able to go home again." Grover said
"This could be a lie." Barrett said
"And, why would they lie about that?" Grover askrd
"They're covering it all up. Notice they don't even mention the freaks. They're acting as if it's the gas that's killing people." Barrett said
"Or, maybe they're just believing what Keller's telling them" Grover said always the hopeful one.
"I never meant for all of this to happen. I just wanted people to know what Keller was doing to expose it." Barrett said
"This isn't our fault." I said putting a comforting hand on Barretts bicep.
"And, in other news, Oliver Keller tells a harrowing story of being trapped in Kent High School with a group of survivors. Keller was the only person to make it out of the school alive. Having lost his sister Anka, he was too distraught to give further details. But, we hope to get more of his story to you soon." The news reporter said almost causing me to collapse, Noodle catching me.
"Oh my God. They were right. Blue suits killed them, all of them, even Anka." Grover said
"And Violet." Noodle said causing me to turn and sob into his chest.
"I know. I didn't want to be right about this. I think about Zoey in her last moments." Barrett said as noodle tried to comfort me.
"I should've been with her, with them. I just left zoey and violet behind." I said sobbing louder.
"Shh babe. It'll be okay, sorry babe, but you've got to be quite" noodle said running his hands through my hair.
"I should've tried harder. We knew the helicopter was gonna come and bring the blue suits, we knew it. Why did I just leave her there?" Grover said
"They were never gonna come with us." Barrett said.
"If I would've just showed her the retrieval photo. I let her die." Grover said
"Zoeys last memory of me is a horrible one, noodle. She died hating me" I sobbed
"Zoey was angry, but she could never hate you, not really" noodle said
"You told me we have to make tough decisions. Regretting them isn't gonna get us anywhere." Barrett said to grover.
"We need to move, we can grieve when we're sure it's safe, you going to be okay, Mia?" Barrett asked. I nodded wiping my tears and removing myself from noodle.
"C'mon, let's move." I said continuing through the tent the others following me. We noticed a bunch of bodies on tables cover with blue plastic upon entering the next part of the tent, grover uncovered one as noodle wrapped an arm around my shoulder.
"Not killed by a freak." Noodle said
"Or the chemicals. He didn't turn." I said.
"He's been injected with something, just like Natalie." Grover said looking at the boys arm.
"Look. This is the same stuff Collins had. They're not rescuing survivors here. Keller and the government are poisoning witnesses." Barrett said looking at a needle.
"I'm gonna keep this for evidence." Barrett said picking up a needle with the poison.
"To show who? The government and Keller are working together, Barry." Grover said
"Maybe we can get a message out." I said looking at a computer not far away
"I like how you think" Barrett said walking over to the computer sitting on the chair and turning on the screen.
"Crap, it's all internal network on the Keller server, and there's a password." Barrett said
"Keller server? Then, you know how to get in. Can you crack it?" Grover asked
"I've done it before. Give me a minute." Barrett said getting to work. After a minute literally Barrett turned to look at us.
"Okay, so I circumvented the mainframe." Barrett said
"Skip the details." Grover said
"Right. There's staff lists, project lists. - Project Wednesday." Barrett said pausing to look at it.
"You have that." Grover said
"That was just a summary." I said
"These are notes on the experiments. Test group one, overly aggressive, discarded. Test group two, numerous side effects, still operational. Test group three Test group three, to be retrieved." Barrett said slowly looking at us.
"Wait, Barrett, are we test subjects?" Grover asked.
"Oh my god. What if it does something to my baby?" I gapsed
"Don't jump to conclusions, all right? We don't know." Barrett said.
"Security breach within this sector." A voice said over the loudspeaker
"They know I tried to log on. We need to go now." Barrett said
"I need a picture of this." Grover said said
"Grover" I said, he was taking to long
"Let's go" noodle said grabbing my waist and pulling me along with him to leave
"We can't leave them" I said trying to turn back.
"Babe run" Noodle said sternly causing me to listen and ran fit the trees tossing the coats as we ran. As we got clear a gunshot sounded making me jump and run faster.