Prologue

[THIS IS BOOK II: BOOK I IS "SHUTTER"]

shat·ter

verb

break or cause to break suddenly and violently into pieces.

Emilia Roth looked up at the bright blue sky and the giant orb of sunshine beating down on her skin. Soaking up the warmth, she reached her hand to her hair and pulled the scrunchy that tied back her locks. Thick black hair spilled out and cascaded down to her mid back, then the wind caught hold of it and made it blow wildly in all directions. Her eyes were upon the lake, the wind making it have tiny waves like some model of the ocean she had never seen.

The shutter of the camera behind her brought a smile to her lips, the scarred flesh upon her left cheek tugging tightly. Turning her head over her shoulder, she looked right at Jonathan, who was knelt down on one knee, camera at his eye. When they made eye contact, he put the camera down and cocked his head to the side. It had been ten months since the incident with the Upside Down, monsters and girls with amazing powers had upturned their lives. So much had happened that week of their lives, but things eventually went back to a version of normal that they accepted as such.

Jonathan grinned, then took another picture. Emilia widened her arms over her head, reaching for those blue skies, grasping at them. She could reach for the stars and never grab hold of them, but at least she was reaching. The lake in front of her glistened in the sun, glittering like sequins. They never did figure out where the photo of Arlene Roth was taken, but Jonathan and Emilia saved up to take a small road trip to Lake Michigan. They'd slept in shady motels and the back of the car, they ate at truck stops and lived off of gas station food. Emilia finally got to experience what her mother always wanted; freedom away from Hawkins.

Jonathan put the camera down gently, protective lenses back on, and crept up to Emilia who was lost in her own thoughts. She stood just at the edge of the large lake, the wind-caused waves lapping at her toes. Grabbing her at the waist, Jonathan lifted her and heard her scream rip through the silence. She laughed as he brought her to the water, wading in fully-clothed.

"Jonathan!" She yelped playfully, "No, no, no!"

He tossed her in, bubbles obscuring the placidity of the lake. She surfaced with wide eyes, her mouth shaped in complete shock. Splashing the water at him, she shouted playfully, "Oh you jerk!"

He took one big step towards her and grabbed either side of her face, feeling the mutilated flesh on her left, and crashed his lips to hers. The softness of her skin on his was tantalizing, when she kissed back it lit up everything inside of him. When they kissed, it was as if there was nothing in the world that could shatter what they had.

They were so naïve. 

Welcome to book II! Thanks to everyone who supported "Shutter" from the get go, those who have been binge reading these last few weeks, and those who showed interest in a sequel. This is all that I have written so far, I have very little planned, but I want to write this! Drop a comment or a vote if you enjoyed! 

Cover was created by AFleetingDream_91 as well as the new cover for "Shutter". They match, which is amazing, they have the 80's neon colours which is amazing. Shout out to her for the amazing covers!