LI: Cohesion

co·he·sion

noun

the action or fact of forming a united whole.

While Dustin was in the guard's booth trying to get the gate to open simply by repeatedly hitting the button, Jonathan and Emilia decided it was best to join the rest of the group. To be closer, since those creatures were crawling who knew where, being next to the vehicle was the best, and safest, option. She took one step and stopped, trying to keep her whimpers silent but some still weaseled their way out.

"Hey." Jonathan put his hand on her shoulder. "Are you okay? What happened?"

She grimaced. "One of those things..."

"What?! When?" Jonathan panicked for he was realizing his biggest mistake when he left with Nancy. It wasn't kissing her, it wasn't disappearing from Hawkins without even telling his mother and leaving behind an even bigger mess. It was that he wasn't there for Emilia when he needed to be. Sure, things were conflicted between them, distant and different now in ways Jonathan wasn't sure could be fixed, but that didn't mean he ever wanted any harm to come to her. His biggest mistake was ever letting her get in harms way.

She shrugged, "It's not a big deal, Jonathan."

A silence crept in all around them; the tone of voice she used was vicious though it wasn't meant to be. However, there was a definite sense of contempt when she said, "Steve made sure I didn't get killed. He didn't leave me behind."

"Emilia..." Jonathan's voice faded, his chest ached. "I didn't... I didn't leave you behind..."

She nodded, disbelief because it was right there in front of them. He left her behind when he went who knew where. And he took Nancy with him instead of her. She felt spiteful above all other things, rage filling her even though she didn't want to overreact. All the feelings of disappointment bubbled up and she was unable to keep herself in check like she usually would. Emilia Roth wasn't someone who tended to overreact.

"Yeah, right. Let me guess, you stayed at a questionable but cheap motel?" She referred to their trip to Lake Michigan. Then Emilia shuffled over to the gate, wondering if they would ever get it open, and who was inside anyways. When she got there, all the lights came on and the gate opened.

Jonathan got into his car without a word and Nancy joined him. Emilia stood beside the booth, eyes on the ground; she only listened as the car took another person she loved into that horrible lab. Immediately she regretted it and looked up, but Jonathan and Nancy were already through the parking lot. Steve placed his hand upon her shoulder, "They'll be fine."

Her gaze was steely, her lips pressed tightly together as though she would never speak again.

Then only minutes later the cars came rushing; Jonathan in the first vehicle kept driving, he didn't stop for anyone. Behind them was Hopper in his truck, and he quickly slammed the brakes and told them to get in. Everyone obliged; Dustin shut the gate behind them and then joined them in the crammed back of the truck with Steve, Lucas and Max. Emilia got the front.

"What the hell are all you kids doing here?" Hopper asked, his voice shaking.

"Is everyone okay?" Emilia asked.

"Bob..."

"El?" Emilia whispered so that Dustin and Lucas didn't hear.

"She's not at home?" Hopper asked, but his question was posed as though he already suspected that.