XIX: Restore

re·store

verb

return (someone or something) to a former condition, place, or position

Emilia prodded the breakfast that Joyce had made for the family. Her stomach churned, and she did not want to eat despite the fact she was hungry. Seated next to her was Jonathan, who noticed her discomfort and reached over to hold her hand. Feeling his warmth grip, she squeezed back half-heartedly and glanced up at him.

"Don't be nervous," Jonathan said, "We'll all be there."

They were going to the lab to talk with the doctor about Will and Emilia's worsening dreams, visions, whatever they were. Since the event at the school Emilia had not had another disturbing attack since, aside from the nightmare. The nightmares were nothing new, although she could not deny that they were worsening as the one year anniversary of it all came around. Just like with her mother's death, it got worse around this time of year.

And since they both happened in such similar time frames, autumn and winter became a dreaded time of year. She used to love it, watching those summer colours fade into oranges, the Halloween events that popped up. Now, now she worried what she might face when she turned a corner, shut her eyes.

"Come on," Jonathan had cleared the table and was holding out his hand for her.

She smiled up at him, looking at his extended hand and knowing that she would make it through. Taking his offer, they held hands all the way out to the car. Hopper's truck was idling, and they all crammed in despite the fact that they would have been more comfortable in separate vehicles. Hopper drove and Joyce took the passenger seat. Will sat crammed behind Hopper who pushed his seat back very far, and Emilia took the middle. She leaned her head on Jonathan's shoulder.

Hopper looked in the rear view mirror and saw how Emilia looked at peace so close to Jonathan; although he acted as father figure, he didn't have the paternal instinct to hate all boys who spoke to his daughter. Besides, Jonathan had long ago proved himself different from the other boys.

Music played, the soft beat pulsing through the back speakers. Feeling as though she could speak in peace, Emilia whispered to Jonathan, "Tell me something good."

Jonathan glanced down at Emilia, reaching his hand up and brushing her brown hair away from her pale face. Revealing the scars, he studied them as he had a thousand times before. They never bothered him, aside from that deep set guilt that he had been the cause of the scars, he still thought she was the most beautiful person on the planet. Inside and out.

That thought crossed his mind, and yet what came out was, "You make really good pancakes."

Emilia laughed, a short burst, but her shoulders wiggled against his as she continued to snicker quietly. A small groan came from her lips, "Something real, Jonathan."

"You're the strongest person I've ever met."

She smiled at that.

The lab was in sight and it made Emilia grimace. She had never been to a therapist. When her mother died, they had someone check in to make sure she wasn't going to kill herself or something, but they could never afford actual therapy. Her therapy had been books. Now she had family to support her, and therapy seemed a little less intimidating.

Greeted by a stout man, he nodded at Hopper and Joyce with familiarity. "Joyce, Jim, I'm glad you could make it. And hello there, Will, it's been a while. How have you been?"