Chapter 45

It had been almost an hour. Alona had returned to pacing. Feliks had groaned when she did.

"Where's Greg?" She yelled, suddenly panicked.

"Helping with evacuations." Nik replied. He had just gotten the bullet out of his shoulder and was literally showing it to everyone. 

She sighed in relief. She needed to calm down. She was making everyone else nervous. She sat on a boulder and began tapping her foot.  

"Hey Feliks, does this mean I'm badass too? Like Alona?" Nik asked, holding out the crumpled bullet.

Alona glanced back at him, he was smiling. He had literally crushed a man's throat with his bare hands but thought that getting shot was the badass thing he had done. 

Alona shook her head. These guys were insane.

"Sure does, buddy." Feliks slapped his other shoulder.

An explosion erupted from the side of the castle. Everyone jumped up looking at the building as flames rolled out of the side. Glass fell to the ground like rain; debris littered the sky and ground. 

Jumping up, Alona slung the rifle Feliks had given her around and tucked it into her shoulder. She was preparing for hordes of diseased people to come running towards them. 

"Hank rigged the lab to blow." Feliks said. "He was also going to rig the other floors to blow."

Alona turned to him, "They're still inside! We have to do something!" 

"We can't Alona! You can't go back in there! You will die!" Feliks yelled at her.

"I have to!" She screamed as she started walking towards the castle, "I can't lose him!" He was the only thing she had left; her old life was gone, the king was dead, what else did she have? She was only a part of this rebellion because of him.

She began jogging towards the front doors. Hank had literally blown them off their hinges. Fire billowed out of a large, busted window. The castle stood before her, in the darkness, it could be mistaken for an enormous stalagmite.  

She slowed as she saw a figure approach the darkened doorway. The figure staggered then slowly stumbled forward. 

She lifted her rifle, aiming at its head. The figure moved into the light revealing its deformed face; it was a diseased person. She clicked the safety off on her rifle. It stepped fully into the light, she was relieved that she didn't recognize the diseased man.  

Thick, black globs of ooze dribbled off its chin. The monster's face was contorted into a twisted smile. She felt anger boil inside her. She clicked the safety back on, and let her rifle drop to her side, hanging off her by its strap. 

All of her anger seemed to rise up. 

Lonely. Abandoned. Mistreated. Abused. 

These were the words that seemed to revolve around her existence. This world had tried to take away everything she had worked so hard to earn. 

She shouldn't expect anything to be easy, because for her it never had been.

She pulled out two knives. It was time to show life who she was. She was a fighter.

She would rip this fucker apart. 

She charged the beast. It jerked its head toward her, then began stumbling after her, trying to maintain its balance on deformed legs.

When she was close enough she jumped, kicking it in the face, then bounded on top of the diseased man. He shrieked and clawed at her. She yelled as she lifted her knife into the air and slammed it down into its neck. She jerked the knife to the left ripping open its neck and sending black blood everywhere. She lifted the knife once more and rammed it into the middle of its forehead.