Chapter 47

Feliks provided Jerr with the coordinates for the opening in the surface. Their ship led the fleet as they headed for the surface.

Alona's hands shook as they soared through the cave air. It had been so long since she was on the surface. 

She was heartbroken that Drew wouldn't get to enjoy his triumph. He wouldn't get to see the surface, or enjoy the open air and sky. 

Her heart began to ache as her eyes fell on Greg; he was watching out the front windshield. His face with puffy and reddened from crying. He hadn't spoken much since the funeral. Feeling her gaze on him, he turned and met her eyes. 

She smiled, hoping it would comfort him. He had grown so much since they first met him. He was a man now, strong and independent.

He gave her a sad smile, then turned back to the windshield. 

She felt a tear run down her face and quickly wiped it away. She was so proud of him, he had come so far.

"Look! There!" Pasha yelled pointing out the windshield. 

Everyone turned to look out the front windshield. In the distance was a break in the cave ceiling, streams of dim light streamed through the opening onto the rocky ground below.

Jerr navigated the ship around boulders that crowded the entrance.

Everyone was silent as their ship careened through the opening, each passenger was tense, not knowing what to expect.

In a moment, they were underground and in the next they weren't. Staring through the front windshield, Alona craned her neck to see the familiar world she had left behind. Down below them, Alona saw a softly lit forest down below, blanketed in snow. 

"Jerr, find a clearing to land in. Let's make sure everyone made it safely." Greg ordered. Jerr nodded in response as he surveyed the land for a break in the thickly wooded area.

"We shouldn't stray too far from the entrance. In case we need to go back underground." Nadia said.

"With Treeon flooding I don't think that's really an option." Greg replied.

Nadia's eyes widened, surprised by his response but nodded understanding that going back underground was not plausible. 

Alona's heart beat rapidly in her chest. She tried not to show her excitement.

Arlo grabbed her hand, "Everyone needs to be prepared. There might be more diseased up here."

"You think the virus is up here?" Alona asked.

He nodded, "Drew theorized that the virus originated on the surface."

"Great." Vlad mumbled. He pulled out a new cartridge for his laser rifle and reloaded his gun.

Alona was still excited to be on the surface, diseased or not. 

"There's a clearing up ahead!" Jerr yelled.

"Wait! What's that?" Hank yelled, pointing out the front windshield.

"Where?" Alona asked, straining to find what he pointed to.

"There! It looks like a building!" He yelled bouncing in his seat.

"I see it." Jerr responded his voice softer.

Alona gripped her knees, her fingertips digging into her skin.

"Greg?" Jerr asked, "Do you want me to fly near the building?"

Greg thought for a moment, "Yes, but not too close. We don't know how people will respond to us."

Jerr steered the ship forward, "Understood."