Chapter 4

Misty followed Jumper through some thick brush as they patrolled the perimeter. The day was cold and wet. Rain sprinkled down and dampened Misty's coat. Her fur stuck to her uncomfortably. Heavy winds slowed them down and they flattened their ears in determination.

The two were asked to examine the area where the Mortal had first been spotted by Fire those four evenings ago. Fear held Misty in an icy grip. Her Packmates could be in great danger. More of the two-legged creatures will come looking for the one that was killed. And what if they find the main camp of Flame Woods Pack? Doom, that's what.

Jumper put his nose to the ground and began to sniff around the turf. Misty looked for strange prints in the mud. Her eyes scanned the land beneath her paws for anything that seemed odd. They were searching close to the spot where the Mortal was killed. So far they haven't found anything. 

Jumper raised his head.

"Stale," He said. "They haven't been here since."

"Good. Hopefully, that will keep everyone else calm," Misty flicked her tail. "Should we report back yet?"

Jumper looked thoughtful for a moment before replying. "How about we check just one more time? We never know what we may find."

Misty nodded and split off from the brown wolf to look for any more evidence. She decided to go back to where they had fought the Mortal. They haven't been there since. She padded along briskly, feeling very important and alert. Rounding the oak tree where Fire had tripped, she felt very nervous, not knowing why.

Bounding down, a sudden realization washed over her as she stared at the small clearing where they had battled. Wide-eyed, gulping, she noticed the bodies of the Human and dog, were gone.

"Jumper!" She howled out and felt her eyes widening. "Jumper!"

The brown wolf came skidding down the slope panting. He darted to Misty's side. He pressed his flank to hers in comfort. "What is it?"

"Look." She gestured with her muzzle, pointing to the empty clearing.

Jumper's jaw dropped open as his eyes widened. He slowly walked up to the center and began sniffing around. Misty sat in complete and utter silence. Her fears came washing over her. She felt as if she was being pounded by wave after wave of terror. Her breath caught inside her, and she almost couldn't breathe. Like she was drowning, trapped beneath the waves of fear.

She swallowed hard as Jumper raised his head with a worried expression on his face. He stared at her. "The Mortals retrieved the bodies."

~ ~ ~

After they had returned and explained to Tyrant what they had discovered, he began to ask loads of questions.

"How could they sneak through like that?" He looked puzzled and worried. "I mean, we always have a scout posted there."

Misty shook her head. "I don't know. And we didn't find fresh scent anywhere but where the bodies had been laying." She began to panic. "What will we do?" She looked to her leader for hope. "We can't sit by and let them run our forest. We-"

"I don't know, Misty!" Tyrant snapped. "I need time to think about it. Hopefully tomorrow we'll think of something."

Misty's green eyes flashed with pleading anger. "Don't you understand? There may never be a tomorrow!" She fought back her anxiety. "Tomorrow may never come." She finished in a whisper.

Jumper gently placed a paw over one of hers. "It's okay, Misty. Calm down. I'm just as worried as you, but we must remain calm about this, or everyone else will begin to get uneasy."