Chapter 21

Rascal was still shocked about the wild dog group's sudden attack. Grief sank in for little Hawk and Sparrow. It broke his heart to think about them, and tears sprang in the corners of his eyes each time. He felt as if a piece of himself were ripped from his soul.

Moondancer had been unconscious for the last two days. And it worried Rascal gravely that the she-pup wouldn't make it. Already, she'd lost so much blood, her left hind leg, and perhaps her spirit. She lay limply in Blossom's den, spread over the softest, warmest pelt they could find. The healer kept giving her a medicine mixed with a variety of unknown plants Rascal couldn't identify. Placing the treatment over her open wounds, and easing the pain with what she could do. Moondancer twitched and jerked in her sleep, which worried Blossom. She feared the pup may be having fever dreams, but it was too early to tell. They would just have to be strong for the she-pup, and her mother.

Wren had been put on a medication to keep calm. The news about Hawk and Sparrow broke the mother down mentally. She only stared at the ground in silence, making wolves in her presence feel as if she didn't know that they were there. Rascal visited her when he could. He couldn't imagine losing his pups at the same time. Whatever was going on in Wren's mind, it troubled others dearly.

Rascal entered camp after a hunt. Grabbing a piece of the fresh elk, he made over to Blossom's den, hoping Moondancer was somehow better. He entered and allowed his eyes to adjust to the dim light before padding across to a slumped over figure. Blossom was sitting beside the pup, slouched in exhaustion and worry. Her eyes brightened–but only a little–when she noticed Rascal.

He set down his offering and stared at Moondancer. She looked very small and frail. His heart dropped in his stomach when he saw how faintly she was breathing. Her sides barely rose and fell just as quickly as if breathing was too difficult for her. He knelt down and pressed his nose softly into her gray fur, praying silently.

Take care of her...

Rascal opened his eyes and exhaled. His ears drooped as he stood to his paws, and glanced at Blossom in dismay. He'd never seen the pretty healer look so worried and tired before. Her eyes were dim and lost in thought.

He realized, that Blossom looked like she needed to say something. Her gaze kept flitting back to him, and she bit her lip anxiously.

"Rascal..." Her voice sounded so weak and fragile. She peered deeply in his green eyes with her violet ones. "There's something I've been meaning to tell you." She trembled, legs shaking like she was about to collapse.

He could feel his heart thumping. "Please don't hesitate, Blossom. Just tell me."

She sighed and shook her head. "No one has made me feel anything, like the way I feel for you, Rascal." Blossom scraped a paw over the stone-part of the floor. "I wasn't sure what to think at first. I thought you were kind, honest, and fair. But..." She trailed off and turned her face away, heaving a long breath. "I don't know why, but that feeling has left me."

Rascal gazed at her deeply, understanding every word. He felt a weight fly off his shoulders. He was glad that she didn't feel the same way anymore. In a whisper, he asked, "Then where has that feeling gone?"

She looked straight ahead. Rascal could see the tears streaming down her face. "Isaac." She swallowed and shook with emotion. "I'm so sorry. I don't know why, but he makes me feel complete. We've talked more lately, and I guess I've grown closer to him." She tilted her head back to him, eyes sparkling in the low light. "I can't help it, Rascal. I wanted to love you. And I did. But it's gone now. Disappeared like a misty-fog on a hot summer day."

"Blossom, it's okay. I understand. And if you think that way, I'll respect it," Weird feelings consumed his body. "I know you and Isaac would be so happy together." He pulled her closer with his paw, into a friendly embrace. She tensed, then melted into it slowly, accepting his friendship.