Chapter Six

A loud alarm went off before the giant doors began to slide apart to finally reveal the wilderness that waited on the other side. Heart pulsing in my ears, my hands darted across the dashboard to grip the two toggles in my sweaty grasp. It was incredibly dark out there.

Fog seeped down from the sky, creating a murky layer on the path ahead that was just barely possible to see through. Two combat crafts made the first move. They looked this way and that, the narrow lights from their crafts lighting up the way.

"Clear," someone said, "come on out."

I reluctantly pressed down on the pedals, first on my right and then on my left to imitate walking. I went unexpectedly smoothly for it being my first time piloting something so mechanically advanced. As soon as all of us were out, the doors silently began to shut behind us. It was official— I was outside the walls.

Everyone moved and I hurriedly got into place in the middle of the group's formation. We moved in unison, not one person letting their eyes linger on one place too long. I didn't think I'd be able to hear very well in the craft, but they must have built something to make one of the most important senses not become a disadvantage.

Something cracked from the right and I turned to look as quick as lightning. A small squirrel darted out from a nearby bush and I stared after it with wide eyes.

"Not everything's dead out here," Captain Striver said, "Horrors aren't the only ones inhabiting the outside. Watch out for lions and wolves, too."

Oh great, I thought, that's wonderful news.

We continued on for about another twenty-or-so minutes, just hearing the occasional small noises made by small rodents. Something vibrated against my skin and I caught the glow of a red light flashing at the corner of my eye. I glanced down at my watch and regarded the numbers displayed on the screen incredulously. 200 meters cleared. 

"I just received a go from Wren. One more block and I'll call it in."

The group turned into what looked to have been a neighborhood street, considering the remaining houses that were standing, the driveways, and random cars. It was an odd sight to see any indication of a civilization on the wrong side of the wall and even more harrowing to realize how those who were unable to escape the disarray fared. We managed to silently trek the rest of the way down the entire block, nothing but the eerily peaceful silence greeting us from all around. My heartbeat finally slowed down, but the pins-and-needles feeling I'd developed throughout the journey had yet to relent.

"Looks like nothing," someone from behind said, "I think the babies are ready to take their first steps."

His joke received chuckles from around the group.

"I'll let HQ know and we'll rendezvous with the others."

While Captain Striver did that, the combat craft next to mine walked past to meet another in the front, "You got an extra dagger? I forgot my second one in my locker."

I questioned, "We get daggers?"

"Yeah, we usually keep them on ourselves in case we get ejected from our crafts."

I gave another sweep of the empty homes around and just by chance, my light went over something that went still the moment white light touched it. My heart seized in my chest and the soft smile playing at my mouth instantly dropped. I focused my light at that same spot again and sure enough, eyes peered back at me.

My fright must have drawn the attention of the other crafts, and the one behind me stepped to my side to see what I was looking at, also coming to an abrupt stop.