Chapter Twenty Seven

Embarrassing thoughts filled my mind before I knew it, and with a burning face, I turned away from the two men who were watching me. I cleared my throat, willing my voice to come out strong, "Can't I just...can't I just ignore it and it'll go away?"

Lefevere snickered. He actually snickered. An amused looked passed over his features, "You think it's that easy?"

I scowled in return, "What, have you gone through it?"

"Of course I've gone through it," he chuckled, quickly earning my irritated glance.

"Going through it alone will be difficult for you. Why do you want to put yourself through it when you have me?"

"But you went through it alone." 

He rolled his eyes, "Yeah, and it was an experience more shitty than what you're going through. Let me help you, Yui."

"Don't call me that," I blushed, glaring, "who said you could call me that? It's Fang, you dummy!"

He easily returned my glare tenfold, but his hard expression softened drastically in the next moment, and his eyes subsided to a more gentler intensity. This time more calm, he said, "I suggest you visit Dr. Hanz...he was the one who saw to me during my cycle."

I narrowed my eyes curiously, wondering why he'd become so docile, so suddenly. Nonetheless, I understood that this was probably the best time for me to attempt to take my leave, "I'll ask for him tomorrow morning."

I went to the door and closed it behind me. My face was probably as red as a tomato.

────────────

When my head hit my pillow, I didn't wake up until it was time for dinner the following day. Jess and Teejay didn't wake me, claiming that they didn't want to bother me since I looked like I was sleeping peacefully. I was surprised— that I had the ability to sleep for that long and continuously at that...it must be because of this 'heat' I was going through.

I missed my chance to visit Dr. Hanz and the med wing wouldn't be open at this time if it wasn't for emergency purposes, so I ended up going on up to the mess hall to grab a late dinner and ate at a table all by myself. I didn't mind it, but I was used to having Teejay and Jess around me.

A couple minutes into my meal, my ears picked up on an interesting conversation from somewhere close by.

"The storms have been getting worse recently. It's been raining, hailing, you name it, nonstop. The crops have been ruined and the farming division has been having trouble trying to manage."

"It's crazy! Have you guys actually seen the lightning late at night? It's nothing I've ever seen before."

"I've heard from some of the scouts that they've been noticing weird behavior from the zeds too. I can't wait until some of the guys from the Ranger Regiment return, their stories will probably be pretty interesting."

I bit at the inside of my cheek, pondering about what I'd overheard. I knew that it was storming a lot lately, but I've never actually managed to stay up late enough to catch the lightning. Neither did I see anything abnormal during the mission, aside from the hail storm we were caught in.

What could it mean though?

I turned to look over my shoulder at the approach of someone, and spotted Teejay making his way over. I smiled.

He slid onto the bench beside me with an orange in his hand, "Hey Fang, when'd you come back?"

"Just yesterday. Apparently I slept in...a lot."